The World Socialist Movement (or WSM) consists of working class people who have organised themselves democratically with one objective; to bring about a complete change in world society. Although small, we are made up of companion parties and groups in several countries.
The WSM is a global socialist movement that believes capitalism cannot meet the needs of the majority of us, the workers (or proletariat) of the world, no matter how progressive it might become in the future.
To meet these needs we contend, capitalism must be replaced by socialism.
Everybody in the WSM has equal value and equal power. Real democracy is fundamental to socialists. The revolutionary transformation of society must be brought about by the will of the great majority of the people if it is to succeed.
- We have no leaders.
- Every member can take part in making decisions.
- Our democracy works both locally and party-wide.
- All our meetings are open to the public.
All the necessary conditions of production and communication now exist for establishing a world socialist society. What is lacking is the understanding and will among those men and women who would most benefit from it. The task for socialists is to spread the necessary information as widely and thoroughly as possible. This often involves correcting a great deal of misinformation put out by those who want society to remain as it is, with all its poverty, oppression, and war.
- We publish pamphlets, books, as well as regular journals and this web site.
- We give talks and take part in debates.
- We contest elections when practical.
We have a thorough analysis of the workings of present society, how it is developing, and what needs to be done to make changes that would be beneficial for the human race.
- Discussion and debate are essential to the progress of the movement. We welcome them.
- Everyone is encouraged to put their point of view.
- We also welcome suggestions for new activities for spreading our information and all offers of help and financial assistance.
We are hearing increasingly from like-minded people around the world—new socialist parties are being formed now. If you would like more information—or if you would like to help with our work, please contact us.