May 1, 2020 at 12:03 am #200505Matthew CulbertKeymaster
(Double Pages 17.7 MB)
(Single Pages 3.2 MB)
May 15, 2020 at 7:50 am #202384ALBParticipant
- Editorial: Locked down under capitalism
- Pathfinders: Denialists and Doomsayers
- Society: Abstraction or Reality
- Cooking the Books I: Social distancing and the wages system
- Wood for the Trees: Peer Review
- Material World: Meanwhile in East Africa . . .
- The Virus: Our Perspective – Covid and Class
- The Virus Media Perspective: Televisual Tripe
- Labour Leader: Faux Radicalism
- UBI: Redistributing Poverty
- 100 Years Ago: What We Said Then
- Cooking the Books II: System change not policy change
- Proper Gander: TV and the Virus
- 50 Years Ago: Canada to grow no wheat in 1970
- Party News – Discord in the Ranks
- Rear View
- Free Lunch
Chomsky has sent the following comment on the review of his book:
Thanks. It’s quite true that this talk (it’s a slightly expanded talk ) was not directed to the question of large-scale social change and what should we aim for (topics I’ve discussed extensively elsewhere). Rather, it kept to urgent issues that will have to be overcome largely within existing institutions, as comparison of time scales suffices to show. At the same time we should not abandon the Bakuninite task of building the germs of the future society within the present one.May 15, 2020 at 9:54 am #202386Bijou DrainsParticipant
The strategy of the reformist neatly summed up in one paragraph. Short term issues over large scale change, whilst simultatiously riding two horses at the same time.
At least Chomsky has done Socialism one servce, by demonstrating in his own words the confused and contradictory position of the reformist.May 15, 2020 at 10:22 am #202387Matthew CulbertKeymaster
I lost patience with him a long time ago.May 15, 2020 at 12:07 pm #202402marcosParticipant
I don’t waste my time and money with Noam ChomskyMay 15, 2020 at 7:41 pm #202414alanjjohnstoneParticipant
Chomsky makes himself available for interview a bit more freely than others of his influence and stature. Fact he replied to the review shows he is more receptive to exchanges than others.
Perhaps the editors of the SS could follow up on his response to the article by requesting a short interview on Skype, a video to feature on our website and the transcript to go into the Standard
Despite what we think about him, anything with Chomsky featured in it would bring a wider audience.
Costs nothing to ask, just have to set out some ground rules to agree with him about and make the arrangements.
Need not be unnecessarily adversarial as Tristan’s response to his intellectual ownership article showed.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.