Who We Are
The Socialist Party is like no other political party in Britain. It is made up of people who have joined together because we want to get rid of the profit system and establish real socialism.
Our aim is to persuade others to become socialist and act for themselves, organizing democratically and without leaders, to bring about the kind of society that we advocate.
We are solely concerned with building a movement of socialists for socialism. We are not a reformist party with a programme of policies to patch up capitalism.
Why we are different
The SPGB and our companion parties in the WSM say that:
- socialism will be a moneyless, stateless worldwide society of common ownership and democratic control of the means of wealth production and distribution
- there is no need for a “transition period”
- socialism cannot be established by gradual implementation
- reforms of capitalism can never lead to socialism
- socialism must be established by a large conscious majority, preferably via a parliamentary mandate,
- socialism cannot be established by some minority vanguard or leadership group
- socialists should oppose all capitalist wars and that socialism will end war, including the class war
- the former USSR, China, Cuba and other so-called “socialist countries” were never socialist, but instead, state capitalist
Other groups which may use the terms ‘socialist’ or ‘communist’
There are some groups, for example left communists and some anarchists, who agree with some of the above but not all. In Britain what’s called the Left is generally made up of groups which don’t have socialism as we describe it as an immediate (or even distant) goal, and instead aim at a ‘dictatorship of the proletariat’ with themselves in charge. These are the groups which follow Lenin and/or Trotsky. Below we list some of the biggest differences.
What we do
Our aim is to build a movement working towards a socialist society. We publish literature, we hold meetings and debates throughout the country, we write to the press and state our case wherever possible on the media. We run weekend educational conferences, we sell tapes and pamphlets, we hand out leaflets, we contest elections, and we discuss our ideas with people wherever we can.
We are unique
The Socialist Party has been unique in Britain throughout the twentieth century for:
- Consistently advocating world socialism – a fully democratic society based upon co-operation and production for use.
- Opposing every single war
- Opposing every single government
- Being a democratic and leaderless organization
The next step
The more people who join the Socialist Party the more we will be able to get our ideas across, the more experiences we will be able to draw on and greater will be the new ideas for building the movement which you will be able to bring to us.
The Socialist Party is an organisation of equals. There is no leader and there are no followers. So, if you are going to join we want you to be sure that you agree fully with what we stand for and that we are satisfied that you understand the case for socialism.
If you want to know more about the Socialist Party, its ideas and activities, please contact us.