March 31, 2020 at 11:17 pm #197584
- Editorial: Capitalism struggles to cope
- Pathfinders: Under Siege
- The trade in footballers
- Coronavirus: The Italian experience
- Market Panic : Capitalist Hysteria
- Cooking the Books I: Capitalism catches a cold
- Wood for the Trees: A ‘Man of his Time’
- Material World: Proxy warring in Syria
- Arbroath 1320-1820: A History of Them and US
- Irish Capitalism: Who Cares Who Runs it
- Inequality: Labour’s Straw Men
- Socialism, Communism, Association—A rose by another name
- Transport : Future Travel
- Plastic: Container Crisis
- Cooking the Books II: Iron asteroids and golden meteorites
- Proper Gander
- Atheism: Transcending superstition
- 50 Years Ago: French “Communists” support wages system
- Letter: A good question
- Rear View
- Free Lunch
March 31, 2020 at 11:56 pm #197639alanjjohnstoneParticipant
- This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Matthew Culbert.
“Tens of thousands of Scottish nationalists will be parading through the streets of Arbroath”
Obviously not with the current lockdown and ban on large gatheringsApril 1, 2020 at 9:08 am #197647
An edit which I didn’t get until today. It now reads “would have been”.April 4, 2020 at 3:40 am #197892ZJWParticipant<Socialism, Communism, Association—A rose by another name> contains:‘[…] he imagines ‘an association of free men (<i>sic</i>), working […]’What Marx wrote was ‘Verein freier Menschen’– association of free persons, *not* ‘Verein freier Männer’ – association of free men. (The German differentiation between ‘Mensch’ and ‘Mann’ is found throughout Germanic languages other than English.)Old-fashioned translations into English may use ‘of men’, but that is no reason to go on quoting it, then adding ‘[sic]’.Perhaps, with the agreement of the writer, ‘men’ can be corrected to ‘persons’ (or ‘individuals’?) in the internet edition of SS?Otherwise, a very fine article. of course.April 4, 2020 at 4:14 am #197893markusuboyParticipant
It’s Mike, the author of that article. Thanks for pointing out the old-fashioned parlance. Could Matt or whoever has the power, please change the “men” to “individuals” for me.
One other thing I noticed is that the photo used of Teinosuke Otani is not him. Although Otani also had glasses and was Asian, that’s about as far as the resemblance goes. I see that the faux Otani shows up in a Google search, so I understand why it was used, and it must be too late to replace it with his actual image, but I wanted to point it out nevertheless.
On a separate note, if anyone happens to be bemoaning the incompetent response to the pandemic by your own central government, be reassured to know that the response is equally if not far worse here in Japan. Or I should say there simply is not response, to speak of.
MikeApril 4, 2020 at 9:54 am #197894
Could Matt or whoever has the power, please change the “men” to “individuals” for me.
I can’t edit the PDF version unfortunately.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.