Russian Tensions

May 2024 Forums General discussion Russian Tensions

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 5,163 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The US must be hoping for an invasion though, because then sanctions can block Nordstream 2 and Europe be forced to take American gas instead. So maybe they’ll do all they can to create that scenario and will stage an incident.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Capitalism is not a conspiracy, capitalism operates according to its own logic which is to produce profits and it is guided by the law of the market, confrontation among capitalists is a normal process that has been taking place since the emergence of capitalism

Anonymous
    Inactive

What about the Mukden and Polish border incidents?
    The reasons for staging them, of course, are economic, and so are wars; but states carry them out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They also act against their economic interests, for example, Europe following US economic interests when their own would be best served allying with Russia, which has cheaper gas.

Anonymous
    Inactive

D.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Jack F. Matlock served as U.S. ambassador to the U.S.S.R. from 1987-1991 so his insightful and historical view may be of interest.

Ukraine Crisis Should Have Been Avoided

I cannot dismiss the suspicion that we are witnessing an elaborate charade, grossly magnified by prominent elements of the American media, to serve a domestic political end. Facing rising inflation, the ravages of Omicron, blame (for the most part unfair) for the withdrawal from Afghanistan, plus the failure to get the full support of his own party for the Build Back Better legislation, the Biden administration is staggering under sagging approval ratings just as it gears up for this year’s congressional elections.
    Since clear “victories” on the domestic woes seem increasingly unlikely, why not fabricate one by posing as if he prevented the invasion of Ukraine by “standing up to Vladimir Putin”?

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

An essay with conclusions I find very questionable, to say the least. (I feel it reflects a dangerous romantic attachment to Makhno in a very different situation)

https://crimethinc.com/2022/02/15/war-and-anarchists-anti-authoritarian-perspectives-in-ukraine

“…the authors of this text are divided between two standpoints…one has to think about accepting support from NATO… The other standpoint… the emphasis should not be on the importance of NATO technology and support for the regular army, but on the potential of society for grassroots guerrilla resistance…Anarchists are now trying to create horizontal grassroots ties in society, based on common interests, so that communities can address their own needs, including self-defense…if a war breaks out, the main thing will again be the ability to participate in armed conflict.”

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The talk of sanctions is common among politicians but business understand how much Russian commerce is integrated in the world economy and know sanctions would back-fire

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-technology-business-global-trade-siemens-ag-9e1ad0ce3794a4ef5c8cd9399a1d3b7c

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The long-awaited false flag black ops?

Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine have accused Ukrainian forces of using mortars, grenade launchers and a machine gun in four separate incidents.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/17/ukraine-rebels-accuse-govt-forces-of-mortar-attack-liveblog

ALB
    Keymaster

MS posted the link to that article by Matlock yesterday when I read it. I thought the bit you chose to highlight about the Biden regime stirring it up to divert attention from their internal problems was the weakest part.

More impressive was his point about the US taking advantage of a severely weakened Russia in the 1990s to incorporate its previous sphere of influence into the US sphere, a sort of repeat of the mistake made at Versailles by the victors in WW1. At some future point a recovered Russia was always going to try to pushback against this, whoever was in control of the government there as the Russian elite will be pretty unanimous on this. It’s not Putin’s personal fault. It’s the logic of the Power Politics that is built-in to the capitalist world system. If you want to blame somebody blame Nemesis.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ALB and Movimiento, may I point out a contradiction?
    I am often accused of determinism, and yet you seem often more determinist than me.
    If Nemesis is alone to blame, how do you square that with your stating that no one is “mad enough” to launch a nuclear war? If there are no human decision-makers, albeit determined to make decisions one way or another, then madness or not would be irrelevant. Only Nemesis is to blame, right?
    On other occasions, you flare up at the very whiff of determinism.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Apologies to MS in not seeing his contribution.

ALB
    Keymaster

It was a rhetorical flourish. I should have paid attention to what they taught us in speaker’s class — never use irony or anything like that because people will take you literally. Of course I don’t think there is such a thing as Nemesis or that any individual is to blame. That would be the Great Man theory of history.

You yourself go in for this too when you write of “the long awaited false flag ops”. At least I hope so and that you haven’t been waiting for this as you want it to happen !

Anonymous
    Inactive

But states do stage incidents. Look at Mukden!

Capitalism is not a conspiracy, but the nature of it is to produce conspiratorial behaviour. I.e. PR stunts, military incidents, etc.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 5,163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.