Cost of living crisis

April 2024 Forums General discussion Cost of living crisis

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 322 total)
  • Author
    Lizzie45
    Participant

How’s the WSPA doing these days, Trev?

Or is it still defunct?

Lizzie45
    Participant

More than 600 workers at housing charity Shelter began a two-week long strike in a dispute over pay on Monday, 5 December.

The Unite union has said that a 3 per cent pay increase has left some staff unable to pay their rent.

twc
    Participant

Lizzie45 “Or is it still defunct?”

Yes, guilty as charged.

Lizzie45
    Participant

Lizzie45 “Or is it still defunct?”

Yes, guilty as charged.

So the Aussies aren’t signing up to your pipe dream any more than the Pommies are. Oh, deary me, that’s a shame!

ALB
    Keymaster

It looks as if Zahawi’s comment might not have been a one-off slip but could have been the start of a coordinated campaign to discredit the RMT as Putin supporters.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/communist-and-kremlin-supporters-lead-the-rmt-r0cpr52xm

chelmsford
    Participant

His Majesty’s Government today credited my council tax account to the tune of £30! Yippeeee!
    I’d take the job of dustman if they gave me a uniform and two blokes to shout at…

Lizzie45
    Participant

His Majesty’s Government today credited my council tax account to the tune of £30!

Doesn’t seem much. You can’t be working the system right. 🙁
    I recently got two separate amounts totalling £253 credited to my account. Yay!

Also, that times article also uses the other attack line: publicising the salaries of RMT officials. It’s a current attack line on twitter (despite the RMT twitter feed pointing out they do publish it, and Lynch will be donating part of his salary on strike days to the hardship fund). But most of it is a very weak tarry brush…

Wez
    Participant

‘your pipe dream’
    Lizzie45 – so all these emergency payments are proof that 100 years of reformism have been a success? That’s the real delusion – governments have borrowed from the 1% and you and I (and our children and grandchildren) will be paying off the interest on that for ever and a day – let alone the full amount. Your ‘pipe dream’ has turned into a nightmare of eternal debt.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Wez.
    Lizzie45
    Participant

That’s the real delusion – governments have borrowed from the 1% and you and I (and our children and grandchildren) will be paying off the interest on that for ever and a day – let alone the full amount.

How am I paying off any interest, Andrew? I’m not in employment so I’m not producing what you’d choose to call surplus value. The only regular outgoings I have, other than sustenance, are utility bills, transport costs and £32 Council Tax each month – money left over is mine to spend entirely as I please.

I think you’re the one who’s deluded.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

After the sympathetic coverage of the early days of the RMT strikes, because we have now teachers and nurses and many others who are not viewed as militant industry wreckers, the Tories are trying other ways of discrediting the unions.

As is often the case one or two politicians will put their heads above the parapet with some outrageous comment to see what the public response is and if it is worthwhile pursuing.

Will this appeal to patriotism succeed?

Only with those who are already convinced anti-union and anti-strike.

As someone who worked public holidays including Xmas and New Years Day themselves, I know public transport never operated to any degree on these holidays so all the crocodile tears of the festive season being spoiled by not being able to visit family and friends are hogwash.

We will see less amicable interviews on TV. Silencing the unions is more effective way of undermining them. The media becomes the intermediaries and the conveyor of selective information.

Unfortunately for them, we now have social media, the internet, Twitter and Facebook and YouTube, other ways of getting our message across.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The Greek answer to inflation – fixed food prices

The “household basket”: supermarkets agreed with the government to sell about 51 staples – from flour to fish – at fixed prices.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/08/the-fixed-price-shopping-basket-greeces-answer-to-cost-of-living-crisis

When I lived in India, I remember there was a maximum price that shops could not charge above.

If Scotland can have a minimum price for alcohol, why not a maximum price for food?

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can not hold the bull by the horns. I remember that there were a lot of workers cooperatives ( created by workers union or syndicate ) who also owned supermarkets and they fixed prices and most of them went in bankruptcy and then they were taken over by banks. All kind of reforms have been tried in this capitalist world by reformers and none of them have resolved the problems faced by the working class

Bijou Drains
    Participant

Lizzie45 – “I’m not in employment …… so I’m not producing what The only regular outgoings I have, other than sustenance, are utility bills, transport costs and £32 Council Tax each month – money left over is mine to spend entirely as I please.”

You sound so delighted you get a pittance, I bet if you were burgled you’d be doing a conga because the burglar left and didn’t have a shite in your kettle!

Wez
    Participant

‘How am I paying off any interest, Andrew? I’m not in employment so I’m not producing what you’d choose to call surplus value. The only regular outgoings I have, other than sustenance, are utility bills, transport costs and £32 Council Tax each month – money left over is mine to spend entirely as I please.’

Lizzie45- All of the costs you mention will rise to finance the debt. The NHS will suffer further cuts, infrastructure will deteriorate even more. I could continue but I think even you must know the consequences of government debt.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 322 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.