Cost of living crisis

April 2024 Forums General discussion Cost of living crisis

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 322 total)
  • Author
    Lizzie45
    Participant

Wasn’t it Oscar Wilde who also said: “go suck yourself”?

robbo203
    Participant

How to keep the masses happily subservient. Let them have some crumbs from the Master’s table

Lizzie45
    Participant

“Let them have some crumbs from the Master’s table”

Yeah, I guess, but really mustn’t grumble. Over the past month or so I’ve had a bloody big cake.

twc
    Participant

Just received a further 66 quid [from the government] towards my monthly electricity bill.

No you didn’t. The electricity company did. You were the government’s mule.

Bijou Drains
    Participant

Chemsford- “Twas the Great Baaaard who sai…no it wasn’t, it was Oscar Wilde. And what he said was: …a poor man who is ungrateful, unthrifty, discontented and rebellious, is probably a real personality, and has much in him…As for the virtuous poor…one cannot possibly admire them. They have made private terms with the enemy, and sold their birthright for very bad pottage.
    Sixty six pounds to be precise.”

Terrific post mate, great quote. Never heard that one before but I will memorise it and use it!!

Lizzie45
    Participant

“Just received a further 66 quid [from the government] towards my monthly electricity bill.”

“No you didn’t. The electricity company did. You were the government’s mule.”

Do you honestly think I give a flying fuck? All I know is that I have 66 quid to spend on something else.

Moderator – please note content below

And BTW, do me a favour and kindly refrain from amending my posts. [moderator deleted]

twc
    Participant

“Do you honestly think I give a *** *** [about playing the government’s willing mule to the electricity company]?”

1. Yes, otherwise you wouldn’t have lost your temper.
    2. Yes, otherwise you wouldn’t have kicked back “I have 66 quid to spend on something else”.

The only question under capitalist conditions is “does anyone — yourself included — honestly think you’ll deliberately renege on the 66 quid (or whatever) you owe the electricity company?”

Capitalism has many ways of making willing and unwilling mules pay up.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by twc.
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

MODERATOR NOTICE

I will continue to edit out unnecessary insults or abuse.

I do make clear I have deleted text

The alternative is to delete the entire message or to suspend posting privileges.

Lizzie45
    Participant

“MODERATOR NOTICE

I will continue to edit out unnecessary insults or abuse”

Yet you will not chastise in any way those who dishonestly alter poster’s texts in order to suit their own purposes.

Nice to know this forum has a moderator who acts ‘impartially’.

chelmsford
    Participant

There is a good piece in the latest Weekly Worker on the mythical wage-price spiral. The concept has been undermined by the IMF (of all people).
    It would have saved itself a lot of time and effort if it had read Wages, Price and Profit.

Lizzie45
    Participant

Millions of households will be spending nearly a third of their income on fuel by spring.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/27/millions-of-households-will-be-spending-nearly-third-of-income-on-fuel-by-spring

ALB
    Keymaster

Yes that article in the Weakly Worker — it’s by Michael Roberts not by them — is good.

“Despite this evidence refuting the wage-price spiral, mainstream economics and the official authorities continue to claim that this is the key risk to sustained inflation. The reason for doing so is not really because the economic prize-fighters for capitalism believe that wage rises cause inflation. It is because they want ‘wage restraint’ in the face of spiralling inflation in order to protect and sustain profits.“

Here’s the link:

https://weeklyworker.co.uk/worker/1420/no-wage-price-spiral/

ALB
    Keymaster

It is not just leftwingers who are exposing the “higher wages cause inflation” myth. So are right wingers. Here, following in the footsteps of Enoch Powell in the 1970s (when he wasn’t talking about immigration leading to rivers of blood), is a member of the free-marketeer Cato Institute very effectively exposing the myth for the benefit of Tory activists:

Ryan Bourne: The wage-price spiral explanation of inflation is a dangerous myth

Not sure, though, that it will stop Tory (or, for that matter, future Labour) ministers, as for them any stick can be used to oppose wage increases since one thing they do do is eat into profits.

ALB
    Keymaster

I didn’t pay my energy bill today but then I didn’t have one not to pay. I wonder how many more were in that position.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Blame the unions for everything as pawns of Putin

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/04/striking-uk-workers-playing-into-putins-hands-says-zahawi

“planned industrial action was playing into Vladimir Putin’s hands by dividing society.”

Zahawi said “This is a time to come together and to send a very clear message to Mr Putin that we’re not going to be divided in this way…”

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 322 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.