Capitalism’s animal holocaust continues.

April 2024 Forums General discussion Capitalism’s animal holocaust continues.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster
    Anonymous
    Inactive

savage

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Avian Flu Threat

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/09/bird-flu-mutation-h5n1-virus-strains-pandemic

US agriculture officials are being lobbied to make it easier for chicken farmers to use the “cruellest option” for killing birds affected by the continuing bird flu epidemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/09/us-farms-lobby-to-use-cruellest-killing-method-as-bird-flu-rages

Thomas_More
    Participant

Big U.S. bear slaughter is now underway.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I already release more than 300 birds to continue they own reproduction, and starting the same process again in two places. I am growing my own vegetables, I am self sufficient. I am a self educated Agronomist

Thomas_More
    Participant
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Past posts by myself would reveal I seriously question pet ownership.

“…a wet food diet for a typical dog resulted in an “ecological pawprint” for the animal that was the same as for its human owner. There are estimated to be 840 million cats and dogs in the world and, with numbers rising, the impact on the environment of feeding them is under increasing scrutiny…”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/17/wet-pet-food-is-far-worse-for-climate-than-dry-food-study-finds

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dried food produce obesity, and diabetes mellitus on dogs and cat, and it contains a lot of sodium

Thomas_More
    Participant

Blood splattered on tree trunks. Three young wolves sprawled on the ground. Lifeless. Wolves that were meant to be a symbol of hope for their species were just GUNNED DOWN in Wyoming a few days ago. As members of the only wolf pack in Colorado, they were precious to the state’s repopulation efforts and are protected by the state. But as soon as they set their paws on Wyoming soil, they stood no chance against trophy hunters.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

26 storeys it is by far the biggest single-building pig farm in the world, with a capacity to slaughter 1.2 million pigs a year.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/25/chinas-26-storey-pig-skyscraper-ready-to-produce-1-million-pigs-a-year

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The market for illegally traded puppies is believed to be worth £13m.

Scotland’s prosecution service has warned puppy farming is a source of revenue for gang networks

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-63766595

twc
    Participant

Dog Lovers Beware — This video may seriously melt your heart

Australia has an unenviable record of extinctions.

Homo sapiens arrived 60,000 years ago and pushed Australia’s megafauna to extinction: its giant kangaroos, wombats, razor-teethed “lions”,..

But the determined human slaughter of the thylacene, or Tasmanian Tiger, removed an essential Apex predator from its eco-system, while simultaneously destroying the most celebrated paradigm of convergent evolution.

You’ve more-or-less got to check for marsupial nether-parts and a female pouch to distinguish a thylacene from your friendly canis familiaris.

Yet a thylacene’s evolutionary line branched from a dog’s back in Jurassic times — about 160 million years ago, and 50 million years before the appearance of those prehistoric critters in “Jurassic Park” (which, in any case, mainly come from the Cretaceous).  

What didn’t help the thylacine’s survival was the superior European stigmatising of marsupials as inferior, or “failed”, placental mammals! 

Yet, anyone who has ever watched in awe that prejudicially assumed “even more inferior failed” mammal, the platypus, soon receives a salutary jolt that, in nature’s harsh wilderness, there are no “failed” animals — only beautifully adapted ones. 

Bring Back the Thylacene?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by twc.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by twc.
    Thomas_More
    Participant

Widespread wolf slaughter going on now in the U.S.

Thomas_More
    Participant

U.S. trophy hunters slaughtering hibernating bears and cubs.

Friends of the Earth:

“It was illegal to shoot harmless bear cubs and wolf pups in their dens — and rightfully so. These precious baby animals remain in their dens for shelter and warmth until they are strong enough to venture out into the world.

But the Trump Administration overturned this ban — and even incentivized prize hunters with massive handouts. And now, reckless trophy hunters can legally shoot hibernating mama bears and their helpless cubs indiscriminately, including while they sleep peacefully in their dens.”

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Thomas_More.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.