ALB

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,221 through 5,235 (of 10,529 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Who financed Lenin and Trotsky? #153029
    ALB
    Keymaster

    Sorry that was me not an ex cathedra statement from Head Office. I was at HO yesterday and forgot to change who was logged in.

    in reply to: Kent and Sussex Branch #152941
    ALB
    Keymaster

    “10. Future Propaganda Activities. Bruce proposes a trip to see a performance of “The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists” at Earlsfield in London, in October. Bruce agrees to send information to interested parties.”

    Details here: townsendproductions.org.uk/shows/a-new-one-man-magic-lantern-show-of-the-classic-book-the-ragged-trouseed-philanthropists/

    It’s in Earlsfield on Wednesday 24, Thursday 25 and Saturday 27 October. Has the branch chosen the date yet as I am sure London members might like to come too?

    As I see it’s touring the country till next May I’ll post details under Events too in case members outside London want to see it too. Let’s hope it’s not Labour Party propaganda like the last one I saw.

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #152686
    ALB
    Keymaster

    I don’t think the large size or the italics has to do with Alan J’s eyesight. It seems to be built into <blockquote . Another minor glitch to iron out?

    in reply to: Labour Theory of Value #152685
    ALB
    Keymaster

    You weren’t supposed to read the article. I didn’t tackle it either. That’s why I watched the video where he explains what he is trying to get at with a minimum of algebra. Basically, as Ricardo and Marx say that the value of a commodity is determined by the amount of labour required to produce it, not just at the last stage of its production but from start to finish, Ian Wright is trying to find a formula to take this into account where there is production for profit.

    This involves counting not just the labour that went to produce the materials used at the last stage but the labour that went into producing those materials and then the labour that went into producing the materials those materials used, and so on. As Ricardo put it:

    If we look to a state of society in which greater improvements have been made, and in which arts and commerce flourish, we shall still find that commodities vary in value conformably with this principle: in estimating the exchangeable value of stockings, for example, we shall find that their value, comparatively with other things, depends on the total quantity of labour necessary to manufacture them, and bring them to market. First, there is the labour necessary to cultivate the land on which the raw cotton is grown; secondly, the labour of conveying the cotton to the country where the stockings are to be manufactured, which includes a portion of the labour bestowed in building the ship in which it is conveyed, and which is charged in the freight of the goods; thirdly, the labour of the spinner and weaver; fourthly, a portion of the labour of the engineer, smith, and carpenter, who erected the buildings and machinery, by the help of which they are made; fifthly, the labour of the retail dealer, and of many others, whom it is unnecessary further to particularize. The aggregate sum of these various kinds of labour, determines the quantity of other things for which these stockings will exchange, while the same consideration of the various quantities of labour which have been bestowed on those other things, will equally govern the portion of them which will be given for the stockings.

    I’m not sure that this could be done in practice but Ian Wright was trying to show that it could be in theory be done even when there is capital investment for profit.

    By the way, if you can’t do maths you might be denied access to this forum. I had to answer what is 1 x one.

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #152565
    ALB
    Keymaster

    Eureka. That was a quote from Alan J. Now I now how to do bold and italics as well.
    Why does the passage quoted appear so large?

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #152560
    ALB
    Keymaster

    OK. Should have ended /blockquote. Like this (I hope).

    I am not accustomed to having to do html to use bold or italics or whatever. Was bad enough having to quote/unquote on the old forum to copy and paste.

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #152559
    ALB
    Keymaster

    OK

    I am not accustomed to having to do html to use bold or italics or whatever. Was bad enough having to quote/unquote on the old forum to copy and paste. </quote>

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #152556
    ALB
    Keymaster

    That didn’t work either. What I was trying to do was quote something using <blockquote cite= What should I have done?

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #152555
    ALB
    Keymaster

    Well it didn’t, so trying something else:

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #152554
    ALB
    Keymaster

    Alan Johnstone wrote:

    Since we can’t do a preview (something else to be noted to add) I have to experiment in public how this HTML tag to quote works (if it does).

    in reply to: Russell Brand Attacks Capitalism #152549
    ALB
    Keymaster

    See who and what appears 37 seconds into this video:

    in reply to: Meat eating and the flexitarianism #152516
    ALB
    Keymaster

    Actually, “flexitarian” is quite a good description of human behaviour generally not just eating habits. It sums up “human nature” rather well. That’s what the behaviour of homo sapiens is: adaptable, flexible. Maybe we should adopt the word.

    in reply to: Meat eating and the flexitarianism #152417
    ALB
    Keymaster

    Yes, beef is the problem but I don’t like it. So I can feel as holy as a vegetarian.

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #151549
    ALB
    Keymaster

    It did and from my phone

    in reply to: New SPGB website?? #151548
    ALB
    Keymaster

    Thanks, Matt, for taking me through the complicated way to rejoin. It worked (I hope). Soon find out.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,221 through 5,235 (of 10,529 total)