The coming world war.

April 2024 Forums General discussion The coming world war.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Thomas_More
    Participant
    ALB
    Keymaster

I think you missed out the question mark.

Thomas_More
    Participant

” I think you missed out the question mark.”

I really don’t see how the rival capitalist blocs can pull back at this point without ‘loss of face.’

ALB
    Keymaster

You keep saying that but never take any notice of replies trying to assure you that the end of the world is not nigh.

Thomas_More
    Participant

What makes you so sure?

Ozymandias
    Participant

You think the Capitalist Class are going to destroy their own playground & the Golden Goose that goes along with it?

Thomas_More
    Participant

Are you saying they control their own system?
    It controls them.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Thomas_More.
    ALB
    Keymaster

Neither the capitalist class nor any government can control how the capitalist economy operates. But the one thing that governments do control is the use of armed force. So, yes, it can be said that governments can control whether or not to go to war.

Thomas_More
    Participant

But using the present Iran/Israel crisis as an example: no government wants to ‘lose face’, either to rival states nor to their own electorates. So both sides are compelled to retaliate and thus escalate.

Face is a matter of propaganda: Iran and it’s proponents are lauding the missile attack, saying it was a strategic stroke of genius, Israel says they shot down all the missiles and proved Iran powerless: sometimes you have to take the L, we saw this through the cold war: they will fight, they will devastate countries and kills thousands upon thousands, but will avoid total war if they can: the memory of Britain losing its Empire through fighting Germany lingers.

Thomas_More
    Participant

“…if they can …”

But can they, now?

Lizzie45
    Participant

You will henceforth be known as Theophilus Moore, after the originator of that well-known astrological almanac.

ALB
    Keymaster

”But using the present Iran/Israel crisis as an example: no government wants to ‘lose face’, either to rival states nor to their own electorates. So both sides are compelled to retaliate and thus escalate.”

If I dare raise my head above the parapet for a moment, it looks as if Th. Moore’s example is showing the opposite to his conclusion. Two states in conflict can both save face and so avoid war if they don’t want one (as neither they or anyone else want).

I could be wrong of course. We’ll see.

Lizzie45
    Participant

I could be wrong of course.

Probably not on this occasion.

Israel’s limited strike in Isfahan could rid Iran of the need to retaliate.

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/2024-04-19/ty-article/.premium/israels-limited-strike-in-isfahan-could-rid-iran-of-the-need-to-retaliate/0000018e-f534-daad-a3de-ff3f98be0000

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.