Music

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 283 total)
  • Author
    paula.mcewan

I’m not a moderator but what about this https://youtu.be/eL_9ELVeuCQ?si=fPiVaF_-TEei7gN6

ZJW
    Participant

‘Maigh Eo Abú’, you say.

An Gaeilgeoir tú, a Bhijou? Or are you citing from a supporter-shirt? (Or both?)

As to national anthems, the best of the very few better sounding ones I’ve ever heard has got to be the Greenlandic one (about which you can read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunarput,_utoqqarsuanngoravit ).

Here is an extremely cute video (promo for the Arctic Games in some year or another) of it being sung. A rag-tag collection of smiley families and couples on a beach, attempting — sometimes with text in hand — to sing it. I suspect that some of the smiling is on account of sheepishness about not knowing the words. (As for that couple who are not even pretending to sing, I presume they are in the shot at all purely because they are decked out in exotic national-garb.)

If you are wondering about why they look as they do, that’s because …

‘Because of past limitations in samples and genotyping technologies, important questions about the history of the present-day Greenlandic population remain unanswered. In an effort to answer these questions and in general investigate the genetic history of the Greenlandic population, we analyzed ∼200,000 SNPs from more than 10% of the adult Greenlandic population (n = 4,674). We found that recent gene flow from Europe has had a substantial impact on the population: more than 80% of the Greenlanders have some European ancestry (on average ∼25% of their genome). However, we also found that the amount of recent European gene flow varies across Greenland and is far smaller in the more historically isolated areas in the north and east and in the small villages in the south. Furthermore, we found that there is substantial population structure in the Inuit genetic component of the Greenlanders and that individuals from the east, west, and north can be distinguished from each other. Moreover, the genetic differences in the Inuit ancestry are consistent with a single colonization wave of the island from north to west to south to east. Although it has been speculated that there has been historical admixture between the Norse Vikings who lived in Greenland for a limited period ∼600–1,000 years ago and the Inuit, we found no evidence supporting this hypothesis.’

(More of that at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289681 .)

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by ZJW.
    twc
    Participant

National anthems, even when multi-lingual, invariably call upon God’s guidance and military might. France’s La Marseillaise is one of the few secular exceptions.

The state of Oklahoma’s anthem is another exception. It was lifted straight out of the musical Oklahoma! (Rodgers and Hammerstein: Broadway 1943; movie 1955). The official anthem starts at timestamp 00:45.

When Australian Labor prime minister Gough Whitlam was removing “God Save the Queen”, he floated the possibility of Waltzing Matilda, a bush ballad about a swagman [an itinerant] who “steals” a wandering jumbuck [sheep] from a squatter [a land-grabber of Aboriginal territories for cattle stations, and who typically, in outback Queensland, finished up bound to foreign (UK) capital].

Waltzing Matilda was deemed infra dig for the official national anthem, but it fondly remained the unofficial one.

Recently, the inclusive We are Australian by the Seekers is another unofficial Australian anthem.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by twc.
    twc
    Participant

I hadn’t read ZJW’s previous post on the Greenlandic national anthem. Clearly it does not call upon God’s guidance and military might.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by twc.
    davecoggan
    Participant

Perhaps Australia should adopt this.
    ‘And they turned all their faces away’

Bijou Drains
    Participant

ZJW – faraor gan ach cúpla focal

With regards following Mayo, I do have that cross to bear (the curse of ’51) as well as following the perennially trophy less Newcastle United. I mentioned my twin affiliations to a farmer from Fermanagh who said to me “Ahh Jeysus, how many mirrors have your family broken”

I’ve been putting a tenner on a double of Newcastle winning the Cup and Mayo winning the All Ireland for the last 25 years, still might come off this year.

paula.mcewan

I like this song because it’s a homage to truck drivers

Thomas_More
    Participant

Banned in both China and Taiwan!

ZJW
    Participant

I am baffled:

1) The statement ‘Banned in both China and Taiwan!’ is utter nonsense. On what basis is it made?

2) There is already a thread where the Internationale is posted, why start another one, and why with the title ‘Forgotten history’?

3) Why has the intent to post a Chinese-language version of the song resulted in seeking it from a channel apparently devoted to alternate history (‘Kaiserrreich’)?

4) If this posting was meant as a joke (to me an incomprehensible one), why not put it in ‘Off Topic’?

Further, despite the illustrious ur-history, just like red flags, the Internationale (supposing it had much merit even to start with) has been totally besmirched by its use by stalinists and other leninists. (Just one example: it was after all, the national anthem of the USSR until 1944.)

It may be objected that stalinists and so on likewise make use of the CM, Capital etc etc, are these too to be abandoned because of ‘contact pollution’? No. Texts have substance. Red flags and the Internationale are only of symbolical significance, and there is no need to try to ‘reclaim’ them or otherwise fight over patrimony rights.

KAZ, are communist anarchists also overcome by a rush of pleasing neurotransmitters upon hearing the Internationale, or are they a bit smarter than that? (Or perhaps, there are versions with obviously anarchist lyrics, a bit parallel to the De Leonist or IWW or Charles H Kerr version having ‘The Industrial Union Shall be the human race’ for ‘L’Internationale sera le genre humain’?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by ZJW.
    DJP
    Participant

“A Las Barricadas” is probably the anarchist anthem, if there is such a thing.

Thomas_More
    Participant

I didn’t know what Kaiserreich was, and i didn’t post it to be confrontational.

The KMT had many strands, and the Nanking govt. was still fighting those unconnected with the CPC even after 1927.

There were Anarchists and Trotskyists in the KMT too.

You can move this off-topic if it irritates your spleen. I don’t care.

ZJW
    Participant

All right, let this be the wrongly named thread for anarchist music then.

Another anarchist hymm, this one about the Makhnovshchina. Done here by the rock band ‘Jomo and the Libertarians’:

ZJW
    Participant

‘Hey, hey, daloy politsey!'(‘Down with the Police’):

ZJW
    Participant

‘Let’s bury little Nickolai along with his mother’.

The mother being Dagmar of Denmark, widow of Alexander III.

But for an empress she could have been worse. Kropotkin (‘The Present Crisis in Russia’. 1901) relates:

‘It so happened, however, that when the police were beating the students on the Neva bridge, the Dowager Empress passed by, and was cheered by the students. So she spoke to her son: “They were quite loyal,” she said; “they cheered me. Why do you allow the police to treat them so brutally?” The result was that the ex-Minister of War, General Vannovsky, was appointed to make a general inquiry. He proved that there was not the slightest reason for calling in the police, lectured the police authorities, canceled nearly all the orders of exclusion of students, and released all of them.’

Moo
    Participant

Armistice Day by Midnight Oil

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 283 total)
  • The topic ‘Music’ is closed to new replies.