Coronavirus

March 2024 Forums General discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,593 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

And in  the slumps of Brasil, Ecuador, Salvador, Honduras, Mexico,   Paraguay, Haiti and Puerto Rico too, where millions of peoples live by selling stuff in the streets, even more, in Manhattan in NYC, and in Los Angeles, Ca  there are thousands of peoples who depend on merchandise that they sell in the street including homemade foods

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

One of the America’s early industrial barons, Jay Gould, famously said

“I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half.”

Whether he did say that or not, i’m not sure but whether he could do it, i’m pretty sure he couldn’t.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Also spare a thought for those living in refugee camps and held in detention centres

Those who are imprisoned in jails.

And those who are citizens of countries that are subject to sanctions and blockades

Anonymous
    Inactive

And all the children from Mexico, South, and Central America   who are been held in the  USA concentration camps, known as ICE detention centres

James_Moir
    Participant

Marcos, I’m not as well-travelled as you, my life’s experience has been labouring in the UK; although I did do National Service 1956 – 58 so I’m not altogether ignorant of world affairs

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the America’s early industrial barons, Jay Gould, famously said

“I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half.”

Whether he did say that or not, i’m not sure but whether he could do it, i’m pretty sure he couldn’t.

There are a lot of peoples willing to kill to defend Donald Trump and to keep him in power  including the right-wing militia who are willing to start another civil war

ZJW
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Leftwingers are going wild thinking that capitalism will collapse without being pushed by the working class. This is not the end of capitalism, it might be the end of one of its forms, but it might adopt a different now and it will continue operating. High level of unemployment is not the abolition of the wage system after this mess workers are going to compete  with each other in the labor market

robbo203
    Participant

This is not the end of capitalism, it might be the end of one of its forms, but it might adopt a different now and it will continue operating.

True. But I think the pandemic could bring about a certain contraction or hollowing out of capitalist relations of production.    I sincerely doubt that we will ever get back to “business as normal” after this

Talking of which here is something that landed in my in tray this morning

https://briqjournal.com/en/call-for-papers-the-clash-of-socioeconomic-systems-in-a-post-coronavirus-world/

robbo203
    Participant
    robbo203
    Participant

Another left-liberal approach to “stimulating the economy” based on the flawed theory of underconsumptionism https://eand.co/america-is-committing-economic-suicide-c7c1f7122169

robbo203
    Participant
    James_Moir
    Participant

As I stated earlier, I did two years – 1956- 58 – Nation Service – not a voluntary service. You either did it or did not, the latter earned you a spell in jail so, for what it’s worth I chose the former.

During the period we Squaddies were taught the various ways to kill our fellow human beings.

There now I’ve said my piece so, I’ll leave it to the worriers about the may be recalcitrant Bourgeois.

Ozymandias
    Participant

Can someone give me a history lesson here?

1918/19 – Spanish Flu

50 – 100 Million Deaths

2020 – Covid 19

66 Thousand Deaths so far (whilst infections look as if they are in plateau in at least in some territories)

Why didn’t Capitalism nosedive 100 years ago like it seems to be doing now? (Or did it?) Maybe massive infrastructure loss after WWI set conditions for a boom? Or Capitalism hadn’t fully saturated global markets by 1920? Perhaps in the end its just down to the fact that the planet has changed so dramatically in the past century?

By the way I still find this entire Corona business sinister and dubious as fuck.

In a typical year anything up to 650,000 people die globally of the flu (anyway) , yet we have a tenth of those fatalities currently registered. And we’ve got this?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Ozymandias.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Ozymandias.
    Bijou Drains
    Participant

Ozzymandis wrote

In a typical year anything up to 650,000 people die globally of the flu (anyway) , yet we have a tenth of those fatalities currently registered. And we’ve got this?

Do the maths, this pandemic has not even started to bite, yet we are at 1/10 of the ANNUAL flu fatalities, this is despite world wide lockdowns and social distancing. The current daily death rate is nearly 6,000. If you multiply that times 365, that gives you 2.2 million deaths if the current rate of deaths continued for a year at the same rate, which it clearly will not. This figure is before the virus has any where near hit its peak in most of western Europe, North and South America, Africa, South East Asia, the Indian sub continent, in fact it hasn’t peaked in most parts of the world, despite what you say about plateaus in some territories (where is this?). The death toll globally from this virus will outstrip Spanish Flu by a long way.

Ask yourself this during the last “flu seasons” how many doctors and nurses hear about who were dying from flu?

There was a report in Scotland that 13 residents all died from Covid 19, do you recall that ever happening in a flu epidemic?

Another factor in this is the recovery time, flu cases in intensive care usually take about a week of intensive care to move out of the ward. With Covid 19 that is more like three weeks, that trebles the use of ICUs and stretches the capacity of ICUs. This means increased likelihood that people who would survive without treatment will not get the treatment they need to survive. Similarly, just because there is this outbreak, people don’t stop having heart attacks, strokes, etc. If ICUs are full up these people will die from lack of treatment.

Why didn’t Capitalism nosedive 100 years ago like it seems to be doing now?

It did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post%E2%80%93World_War_I_recession

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,593 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.