Attack on Abortion Law

April 2024 Forums General discussion Attack on Abortion Law

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    robbo203
    Participant

I think it is possible to agree that women ought to have the right to abort but to acknowledge that abortion is far from being a desirable outcome compared with the alternative of practising effective contraception in the first place. For some women resorting to abortion can be particularly traumatic and if contraception can obviate the need for abortion so much the better.

The other question arising from the abortion issue is when to abort. I am not sufficiently familiar with embryology to make an informed judgement as to precisely when a fetus becomes a human being but at some point that is what happens. It is beyond that point that abortion becomes morally questionable.

I have no problem with supporting a woman’s up to that point in a woman’s pregnancy but would be increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of abortion beyond that point when we are no longer talking about just a fetus. Only under extraordinary circumstances would it be justified e.g. a threat to the woman’s life

Anonymous
    Inactive

So you’re opposed to contraception? What are you then, a non-fucking Catholic?

You do not have to use that kind of expression in this forum. I will not bother in answering back to you

PartisanZ
    Participant

Moderator:

7. You are free to express your views candidly and forcefully provided you remain civil. Do not use the forums to send abuse, threats, personal insults or attacks, or purposely inflammatory remarks (trolling). Do not respond to such messages.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

“abortion is in an ethical issue on which the Party does not have a position other than that it should not be illegal”

I do not consider it as solely an ethical question, nor simply one of legality but of public health which holds definite political ramifications.

There may well be an aspect of an ethical question for some who hold particular religious views but for those who engage in political campaigns to oppose laws to relax access or involved in political action to impose strict restrictions, the ethics evoked are frequently spurious, and camouflage for a nationalist, right-wing populist agenda.

As for Robbo’s point, i have found it difficult to find any responsible organisation that promotes late-term terminations without qualification which would amount to a form of infanticide. Perhaps he can direct me to any group that does advocate such measures.

I know i am sermonising to an audience in no need of it, but the “right to live” campaigners view that their ethical concern ends with birth and the rights of capitalists sentencing poor hungry babies to death then takes precedence.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

An example of the obstructionist policy, i have just read that Ohio has now a law that demands “humane disposition of the product of human conception” — specifically, any “zygote, blastocyte, embryo, or fetus,” either by “burial or entombment” or cremation “in a crematory facility.” Healthcare providers who do not comply face potential first-degree misdemeanor charges that carry a $1,000 fine and up to six months in prison.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/31/reproductive-rights-advocates-slam-unconstitutional-and-medically-unnecessary-fetal

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The US Supreme Court has reinstated a requirement that women visit a hospital or clinic to obtain a drug used for medication-induced abortions, lifting an order by a lower court allowing the drug to be posted or delivered during the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/13/us-supreme-court-reinstates-restrictions-abortion-pill

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The Dominican Republic is one of four countries in Latin America – along with Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador – where abortion is illegal in all circumstances. Scores of Dominican women die each year from botched attempts to end unwanted pregnancies.

Activists in the Dominican Republic fear their own government is banishing its women to the dark ages by upholding a total ban first implemented in 1884.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jan/18/dominican-republic-total-abortion-ban

james19
    Participant

I have been locked out of the forums. Just managed to get back in. Reading web attacks, my IP address might be blocked? All good 😁👍

I saw this, not sure if it is off topic? My apologies if it is.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by james19.
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Legislators in Honduras are pushing a constitutional reform through Congress that would make it virtually impossible to legalise abortion in the country – now or in the future. The measure is called a “shield against abortion.” The new measure is likely to pass within the next week. In 2017, legislators voted on a reform that would have decriminalised abortion in the case of rape or incest, when the mother’s life is at risk and when the foetus could not survive outside the womb. But only eight of 128 legislators voted in favor.

Honduras is one of four countries in Latin America that prohibits abortion under any circumstance, and the only one to also prohibit emergency contraceptives, even in the case of rape.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jan/21/honduras-abortion-constitutional-reform-ban

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The near total-ban on abortion in Poland will come into effect imminently, the government has announced. Abortion will only be permitted in cases of rape, incest or when the mother’s life is in danger.

Background reading:

Poland’s Pro-Choice Protests

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Biden relaxes some of the US abortion foreign aid laws.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55844717

Anonymous
    Inactive
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The Ordo Iuris Institute for Legal Culture styles itself an independent conservative think tank; in reality, it is an extremist religious organisation and its leaders have created a web of reactionary organisations in Poland and beyond. Ordo Iuris is able to make such progress because it has infiltrated the inner workings of the Polish state. For example, Ordo Iuris’s founder now sits on the Polish Supreme Court and other Ordo Iuris alumni occupy important positions in government ministries, academia, the judiciary and other public institutions including advising the Polish president.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/02/03/just-beginning-why-polands-war-abortion-should-scare-you

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/7/honduras-hardened-abortion-ban-these-women-remain-undeterred

Protests in Honduras to block the hardening of the anti-abortion laws

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 224 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.