Attack on Abortion Law

April 2024 Forums General discussion Attack on Abortion Law

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

23 tiny towns in Texas have approved local laws declaring themselves “sanctuary cities for the unborn”, passing ordinances to make the procedure punishable by a $2,000 fine.

Good for them!

Wez
    Participant

I wonder if these towns are also ‘sanctuaries for the newly born’ given the levels of poverty and widespread lack of medical insurance in the USA.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

I also very much doubt that they are towns offering sanctuary to refugees and migrants, Wez.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/27/arizona-anti-abortion-bill-downs-syndrome

Arizona’s governor has signed anti-abortion bill that bans the procedure if the woman is seeking it solely because a fetus has a genetic abnormality.

In addition to the ban on abortions for genetic abnormalities and the “personhood” provision (confers all civil rights to unborn children), the bill bans mail delivery of abortion-inducing medication, allows the father or maternal grandparents of a fetus aborted because of a genetic issue to sue, and bans the spending of any state money toward organizations that provide abortion care. The measure also requires fetal remains to be buried or cremated, and it forbids state universities from providing abortion care.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Pro-life?

Every year, an estimated 23 million miscarriages occur worldwide. Around 10% of women have lost a baby, with the risk being a lot higher for Black women.

‘You have to lose 3 babies before they speak to you’

https://www.dw.com/en/miscarriage-you-have-to-lose-3-babies-before-they-speak-to-you/a-57398921

Jack_higgon
    Participant

This is an interesting article, indicating how little factual basis a lot of these anti-abortion laws have;

https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/the-study-that-debunks-most-anti-abortion-arguments

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

I find it of interest where the opposition to abortion lies.

When such countries as Ireland can vote 2/3rds in favour of relaxing its laws on terminations, there are governments passing laws to increase restrictions often against popular opinion.

Is there a political correlation since the predominant religion doesn’t always seem to be a factor except in the USA where we know that evangelical Christianity and politics do overlap?

Otherwise it appears to be an authoritarian right-wing base that is either driving anti-abortion campaigns of maintaining draconian restrictive abortion laws on the statutes.

I still don’t understand why this political polarisation exists. Perhaps someone who believes society has been too tolerant of terminations can give me an explanation.

Lubbock, pop. 260,000, is the 25th “sanctuary city” – all but two in Texas – to have banned abortions in the last two years. It allows any person to sue the provider or anyone who assisted. Lubbock is a medical hub for 1 million people in West Texas.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Hypocrisy and double standards?

101 “pro-life” and “pro-family” Republicans voted against a bill to protect the rights of pregnant workers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I refuse to accept the atrocious lie that my empowerment as a woman hinges on my ability to choose to kill my unborn son or daughter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Those towns are the first ones who want born children to be placed in cages and they carry guns to kill emigrants and they do not care if their children are killed They care about a fetus who is not a human being but they do not care about a human being. Why they do not adopt a fetus ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

“They care about a fetus who is not a human being but they do not care about a human being. Why they do not adopt a fetus ?”

Educate yourself, ignoramus.

https://www.ehd.org/your-life-before-birth-video/#

*Admin*

Please unsubscribe me from this forum.

Hannah.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You are the ones who should be educated, and all the so-called pro-life who do not know anything about sciences, therefore apply that expression to yourself. I have taken courses in Medicine, especially in Human Embryology, and Histology, and I have been inside a laboratory of embryology. I have used the best textbook in Embryology and none of them has said that a fetus is a human being, on the contrary, they attach themselves to the law of Hackel which says: That the ontogeny recapitulates the phylogeny. If the fetus were a human being the woman’s body would reject in the similar that it does with a transplant. That is the reason why in Argentina they approved abortion in the Congress because many scientists ( No charlatans ) were able to demonstrate that a fetus is not a human being.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday agreed to consider gutting the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that legalized abortion nationwide, taking up Mississippi’s bid to revive a Republican-backed state law that bans the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy. The eventual ruling by the conservative-majority court, expected next year, could allow states to ban abortions before a fetus is viable outside the womb

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-supreme-court-takes-up-case-that-could-limit-abortion-rights-2021-05-17/

Anonymous
    Inactive

The USA is a political backward society influenced by backward religious conceptions Their plan is to make abortion ilegal again and ironically many women supported it and many women voted for trump

Anonymous
    Inactive

The term human being is a religious/legal/social abstraction, the term used in Molecular/Celular Biology is Life.

Argentina which is called a Third World Country ( Term wrongly applied nowadays ) abortion was legalized by Congress,

It was not decided by a Supreme Court, and they brought professional witnesses and scientists to explain what biological life really is.

In the USA they will never do that, and the majority of Argentinean women approved the legalization of abortion

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 224 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.