Who’ll speak up for the new oppressed working-class boys?

August 2022 Forums General discussion Who’ll speak up for the new oppressed working-class boys?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    james19
    Participant

The Daily Mail….its author, Matthew Goodwin?

Wokey, racism and a load of old (size 14) cobblers!
    Money for old rope.

https://newspaper.mailplus.co.uk/data/828/reader/reader.html?social#!preferred/0/package/828/pub/2530/page/21/alb/129763

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by james19.
    sshenfield
    Participant

What the article is targeting (in a confused way) is a toxic new ideology that is especially influential here in the US. I suggest we call it PEC, i.e., ‘Progressive Except for Class’: it opposes an open-ended set of oppressions, starting with race and sex and potentially including anything except class.

james19
    Participant

Grrr I missed out “white working class “ Freudian slip?

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

This might be of interest

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/04/white-working-class-fiction-tories-obsessed

A report from Class, the union-funded thinktank, on new attitudes to race and class in Britain explains you cannot predefine the beliefs and values of a class, it says, and then filter for people whose views correspond to them. Instead, the researchers built their sample on a points system, taking into consideration class identity, housing tenure, education level, occupation, household income, and if and how one might pay a £500 emergency bill.

The “uberisation” of certain sectors such as academia, coupled with general pay stagnation and a public sector pay freeze, have combined to mean that old blue collar/white collar distinctions are no longer meaningful. You can have what used to be called a “middle-class job” and still struggle to meet your basic needs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.