The Tories and the disabled

April 2024 Forums General discussion The Tories and the disabled

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The moderator is right to draw our attention to the name of the topic.  We have careered off in an off-topic direction, albeit an interesting one to my mind.  Both ALB and Tim made some good points that I would like to comment on, but maybe not on this thread.  Perhaps we could come back to this topic at a later stage on an appropriately named thread?To get back to the Tories and the disabled; I have been disgusted at what they have done, to blatantly harm the people in society least able to defend themselves.  It’s a bit like if you are out and about and see a person on crutches, you deliberately quick the crutches away.It seems that these actions have even been too much for many Tories to bear; there is rebellion within the ranks, as for example with the action of Graeme Ellis as mentioned by the Moderator.

ALB
    Keymaster

One Tory MP suffers from the backlash, and not the least but Zac Goldsmith, their candidate for Mayor of London: See here.Serve him right. 

Bijou Drains
    Participant

Apologies for straying.Miiddle aged men meandering into a discussion about football terrraces and throwing stones no surprise really, perhaps I shouldn't apologise, perhaps our behaviour was genetically determined.

james19
    Participant
    Bijou Drains
    Participant

IDS – In Deep Shit

james19
    Participant
    Brian
    Participant
    Tim Kilgallon wrote:
    IDS – In Deep Shit

Not deep enough by a long shot.   His resignation is potraying a man of principles. However I suspect he's been looking for a way out for sometime with the evidence building up that Universal Credit is unlikely to work as expected.  Just too many complexities for one computer to handle all the changes in circumstances for those on benefit.

Brian
    Participant
    ALB
    Keymaster

Looks like they've overdone being nasty this time. Cuts were always necessary from a capitalist point of view, but they decided to concentrate them on people below pension age on the cynical ground that more old people vote for them.  Nice to see them come unstuck over this.

Brian
    Participant
    ALB wrote:
    Looks like they've overdone being nasty this time. Cuts were always necessary from a capitalist point of view, but they decided to concentrate them on people below pension age on the cynical ground that more old people vote for them.  Nice to see them come unstuck over this.

Which leaves them with the problem of 'what do we do next' in order to cut spending?  They've tried tax credits and that failed, the recent budget attack on PIP has also failed dramatically.  Does this mean they have little choice other than an early attack on pensioners, albeit those 'better off pensioners'?If they do that before the referendum they would not only lose the referendum but also the next election.  But can they afford to wait until after the referendum when the debt interest will continue to rise?Yes like YMS said previously the maintenance of the working class has become a massive burden for the capitalist class and there don't seem to be any solution for them.  Which reminds me the Romans were faced with a similar problem.  

ALB
    Keymaster

It appears that some pensioners have suffered from the cuts:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/pension-credit-cuts-linked-to-increase-in-death-rates-of-over-85s-study-claims-a6933271.htmlThe poorest ones of course. Something needs to be done about capitalism, like getting rid of it.

ALB
    Keymaster

Just bought something from the local cornershop for £1.29. I don't normally give to charity but faced with two charity boxes decided to give the 1p to the blind rather the Battersea Dogs Home, to help with the white sticks the Tories are planning to tick away

Brian
    Participant
    ALB wrote:
    Just bought something from the local cornershop for £1.29. I don't normally give to charity but faced with two charity boxes decided to give the 1p to the blind rather the Battersea Dogs Home, to help with the white sticks the Tories are planning to tick away

Not sure whether the dogs for the blind are presently calculated to be an aid.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mony a mickle maks a muckle eh?.

ALB
    Keymaster

According to today's papers, in his interview on the Andrew Marr Show yesterday Duncan Smith let the cat out of the bag when he said:

Quote:
    We need to get the deficit down, but we need to make sure we widen the scope of where we look to get that deficit down and not just narrow it on working age benefits. Because otherwise it just looks like we see this as a pot of money, that it doesn't matter because they don't vote for us.

That this was behind where the government chose the axe should fall, and why, has long been obvious to impartial observers.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.