Syria slaughter

April 2024 Forums Events and announcements Syria slaughter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

As Shaw put it, Syria seems hell bent on showing we have no better way of settling disputes than that which dogs use to settle ownership of a bone.  The scale is horrific.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30648181

Quote:
    It said a total of 76,021 had died, slightly up on 2013's toll of 73,447 and bringing the total number of deaths since the conflict began in 2011 to more than 200,000.

Of the 2014 deaths, the Observatory said:

• At least 22,627 were government soldiers or members of pro-government militias
    • Almost 17,000 were militants from groups including IS and al-Nusra Front
    • More than 15,000 were from moderate rebel groups and Islamist factions
    • Civilians made up 17,790 of the dead

Also

Quote:
    The death toll for 2014 from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is just the latest grim statistic from years of war.
    • An estimated 10.8m people are in need inside Syria
    • Over 10m displaced by the conflict
    • 3.2m refugees in neighbouring countries
    • More than 50% of the country live in extreme poverty
    • Half of the country's children are not in school

The scars of this war will last these chidlren's lifetimes.  Its an act of casual brutality (especially the bombings of hospitals) that will linger after Assad is long dead and gone.  Look on his work ye  mighty, and despair.  You'd think numbers of this scale would make the thinkers of the world sit up and begin to ask: isn't there some way this could never happen again.  The war in Syria is a political question, one without a military solution, and it is the political question the world must answer.

ALB
    Keymaster

I wouldn't just blame Assad. Equally to blame are the Western capitalist powers who sought to use popular unrest and then Sunni muslim discontent in a bid to overthrow a regime they regarded as part of the "axis of evil". They could have let things be but they chose to interfere in pursuit of their own interests. They need to be in the dock as well

J Surman
    Participant
    Young Master Smeet wrote:
      The war in Syria is a political question, one without a military solution, and it is the political question the world must answer.

Yes it's a political question. Trouble is the politics are all wrong and we're never going to agree with the status quo!For us it is not a case of taking sides, I'm sure we agree on this. Now to my point(s) –  I don't believe the BBC to be one of the best sources, they're not good at 'balance in reporting', prefering to take the govt line generally so I suggest a look at the www. global research.ca site which has a comprehensive search facility. I looked at 'Syria' and 'axis of evil' and will just share this one from 2012 for now:http://www.globalresearch.ca/syrian-conflict-exposes-america-s-axis-of-evil/31867It's really all about western, ie US control over whichever/whatever part of the world they want to keep or gain control over either for resources or access to resources. The 'axis of evil' is a well known phrase but what it was/is has changed somewhat over the years depending on changing circumstances. Anyway the link above puts it more succinctly than I could.Re the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights I remember back to the early days of this conflict when I seem to remember the guy behind it was somewhat suspect so I had a brief search. It's not that informative but perhaps you can come up with something better.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Observatory_for_Human_Rights

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.