Shetlandic etc

April 2024 Forums Off topic Shetlandic etc

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ZJW
    Participant
    alanjjohnstone wrote:
    ‘ One of my mum’s sister met and married a Norwegian who was involved in the Shetland Bus as the wartime boats between the two places were called, so I have a Norwegian branch of my family. When the sisters (5 sisters. One brother who is a bit of a mystery, a skeleton the cupboard) ll meet up they always reverted to their Shetland dialect
    But my maternal antecedents were newcomers to Shetland as a result of the whaling industry but even so they considered themselves distinctly Shetlanders.
    Paternally, ancestors were from a Border reiver family, tinkers from Galloway, but to become full of Orange and Freemason connections. ‘

Very interesting.

In case there are those on this forum linguistically interested in the Shetlands (or some other marginal dialects or languages):

1)

“Dis book is da first owersettin o ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’ inta Shetland Scots, a kind o Scots spokken in Shetland at’s been influenced bi da Nort Germanic language Norn, at dee’d oot ida eighteent century. Bein a dialect o Scots, hit’s a closs freend ta standard English, but der a lock o differ atween da twa tongues baith ida grammar an ida wirds. Athin standard English you’ll hear an read o it bein caa’d bi twartree names:’Shetlandic’ an ‘Shetlandic Scots’, ‘Shetland Scots’, an ‘Shetland dialect’. Athin Shetland itsel, dey caa it ‘Shaetlan’, an sometimes juist ‘dialect’. Spaekin for mesel, I tink ‘Shetland Scots’ micht be da best thing ta caa it: hit’s a name laek ‘Ulster Scots’, and laek idder names at’s been twined tagidder laek ‘Newfoundland English’ an ‘New Zealand English’. ”

You eventually get to that from:
    https://www.evertype.com

and then after taking a look at all the curious things at the menu on the left ….

you can eventually arrive at 
    http://www.evertype.com/books/alice-sco-zet.html.

2) And here on the right-hand side of *this* page are very clear audio samples of Shetlandic:

3) BBC Radio Shetland news broadcast ‘Good Evening Shetland’, where now and then a strong Shetlandic accent might be heard. 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.