Russian Tensions

May 2024 Forums General discussion Russian Tensions

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 5,162 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The online rally I linked to in an earlier post was held with 2000 participants.

A report

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/02/26/anti-war-coalition-holds-online-rally-peace-ukraine

Video of the Zoom event including Corbyn’s contribution at 38m

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Starmer and free speech

A group of 11 Labour MPs have removed their names from a statement about the invasion of Ukraine, which heavily criticises Nato after being warned they risked losing the party whip.

Starmer said, “At best they are naive, at worst they actively give succour to authoritarian leaders who directly threaten democracies. There is nothing progressive in showing solidarity with the aggressor when our allies need our solidarity and – crucially – our practical assistance now more than ever.”

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

A North American based progressive website publishes our blog statement.

Another War to Condemn

Perhaps not the biggest but it does bring our message to some who would not have heard it.

ALB
    Keymaster

That Starmer character has turned out to be completely unprincipled, a nasty piece of work motivated by personal ambition and prejudice. In other words, he has all the qualities needed to be a future Labour prime minister, an appropriate leader of the “party of NATO”.

We know Labour governments have always defended and promoted the imperialist interests of British capitalism. So his attitude is really just par for the course.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

First Starmer smeared Corbyn as an anti-semite

Now he smears others as Putin puppets if they dare criticise NATO policy or express the view of the utter failure of diplomacy to prevent an avoidable war.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not watching RT any more. Don’t want to hear cynical justification for mass killing.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

One thing that came out of our Discord talk is that we still are not sure of what the Russian objectives are.

We are still in the realm of speculation

I have read that the Russians have only deployed half their troops and the other half are being held in reserve.

For what?

I read the goal was to take Kiev and implement regime change while expanding the territory of the two breakaway republics into the remainder of the Donbas region.

Who knows other than Putin and he isn’t telling.

There is a military saying “no plan for battle survives contact with the enemy”

War is unpredictable.

The mobilisation of civilians is very much like the creation of the Home Guard – propaganda purposes rather than real strategic value. It shows that the Ukrainian government is prepared to send untrained civilians without any command structure to the slaughter for the benefit of foreign press corps television and YouTube footage.

All wars end, all we can hope for is a swift ceasefire but with every tom, dick and harry in Ukraine now issued with a gun, how can such be maintained?

The war will then become one of anti-terrorism as it was in Iraq post-invasion which means every Ukrainian not in uniform is the potential enemy.

The number of people fleeing Ukraine has now reached 368,000, according to the UNHCR. And recall that the government is forbidding men of fighting age from fleeing…they are expected to stay and fight.

Britain encourages volunteers to go fight for Ukraine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/27/liz-truss-says-she-would-back-britons-going-to-ukraine-to-fight-russia

Germany injects 100 billion euros into its defence budget

Roberto
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

RUSSIAN NUCLEAR FORCES ORDER!

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Further to my contribution on Discord, I recall when I was in the post office, I worked alongside an ex-RSM.

One conversation which I never forgot, we were talking about what would happen if the USSR occupied Britain and he said.

“For you and me the only thing that would change is that instead of a crown on our cap, it would be a red star. We both still be posties”

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Bluff.

Just because Russia will need to use middlemen for financial transactions doesn’t mean he will blow up the world. Iran survived being excluded from SWIFT.

I suggest that this move is to bring NATO and the EU to pressure Ukraine to the negotiation table and to make concessions.

We were wrong that diplomacy would work before the invasion, but with tanks and troops in Ukraine, he has raised the stakes in this high-risk poker game. Now he has shown the ace up his sleeve.

He still has ample and sufficient conventional forces to fend off any outside interference.

Rest easy in your bed, tonight.

(But I’m not living in any target area and the only threat would be the possible post-holocaust nuclear winter for me)

ALB
    Keymaster

Since it has also just been announced that Russia and Ukraine are to have talks on the Belorussian border it looks as if Putin is practising the “big stick” theory of diplomacy of pre-WWI US President Theodore Roosevelt of carry a big stick but speak softly. Rather a big stick to wave about, I would have thought.

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 5,162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.