Russian Tensions

April 2024 Forums General discussion Russian Tensions

Viewing 15 posts - 4,666 through 4,680 (of 5,150 total)
  • Author
    Thomas_More
    Participant

Religious repression in Ukraine

Things have come to a pretty pass when even the BBC has to report the religious repression in Ukraine.

“He also made statements that justified or denied the actions of the aggressor state,” the SBU says. It has posted recordings on YouTube which it alleges are phone intercepts of Metropolitan Pavel.

In one, a male voice believed to be his, describes Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as a “war between the Russian Federation and America until the last Ukrainian is killed”, claiming it was Ukraine that provoked Russian aggression.

This is standard nationalist nation building, sweeping away any rival ideological bases, much like clearing Russian books off library shelves.

chelmsford
    Participant

I see Vladen Tatarsky (who he?) has copped it. A pro-war blogger, Vlad was blown up in a Leningrad cafe by an agent of US Imperial Mints. (Made that last bit up but bet on it somebody will say it)
    ‘Ere, we’ve not heard from the Scotsman for a bit. You don’t think…

Bijou Drains
    Participant

“Ere, we’ve not heard from the Scotsman for a bit. You don’t think…”

One can only hope

TrueScotsman
    Blocked

“One can only hope”

Go fuck yourself. Only action you’ll ever get.

7. You are free to express your views candidly and forcefully provided you remain civil. Do not use the forums to send abuse, threats, personal insults or attacks, or purposely inflammatory remarks (trolling). Do not respond to such messages.

TrueScotsman
    Blocked

“I see Vladen Tatarsky (who he?) has copped it. A pro-war blogger, Vlad was blown up”

Interesting take on the terrorist murder of a journalist.

robbo203
    Participant

“Interesting take on the terrorist murder of a journalist.”

Yes indeed, Apparently its quite a dangerous profession to be in in Russia – being a journalist and writing critical stuff about the regime there…

https://cpj.org/data/killed/europe/russia/?status=Killed&motiveConfirmed%5B%5D=Confirmed&motiveUnconfirmed%5B%5D=Unconfirmed&type%5B%5D=Journalist&type%5B%5D=Media%20Worker&cc_fips%5B%5D=RS&start_year=1992&end_year=2023&group_by=location

TrueScotsman
    Blocked

“Yes indeed, Apparently its quite a dangerous profession to be in in Russia”

Whataboutism much? The Committee to Protect Journalists? Credibility- in the toilet. LOL

Why did this top ‘press freedom’ group exclude Julian Assange from its list of jailed journalists?

robbo203
    Participant

“Whataboutism much? The Committee to Protect Journalists? Credibility- in the toilet. LOL”

That doesn´t mean that the figures cited of journalists murdered in Russia is incorrect, does it now? There are plenty of other sources that come up with much the same figure.

Russia is a far-right authoritarian capitalist regime. So is Ukraine. Perhaps it’s not coincidental that these two repugnant regimes (one of which you bootlick for) are top of the list for the most dangerous countries in Europe to work in….

See this

“Ukraine is currently the most dangerous country in Europe for the media, after Russia itself, where 25 journalists have been killed over the past 20 years.

“Since (President) Vladimir Putin took over, Russia has seen systematic attacks on press freedom – including deadly ones,” the rights group said. “They include Anna Politkovskaya’s high-profile murder on 7 October 2006.” Politkovskaya was a fierce critic of Putin and had exposed high-level corruption in the country. She was shot four times in her apartment block after returning home from buying groceries.”

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/30/rsf-report-nearly-1700-journalists-killed-over-past-20-years

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by robbo203.
    Lizzie45
    Participant

From the same source:

Reporters sans frontières stressed: “countries where no war is officially taking place are not necessarily safe for reporters and some of them are near the top of the list of those where killings have occurred”.

“In fact, more journalists have been killed in ‘zones at peace’ than in ‘zones at war’ during the past two decades, in most cases because they were investigating organised crime and corruption.”

The Americas accounted for almost half of the journalist murders, with Mexico, Brazil, Colombia and Honduras responsible for most of the deaths.

“America is nowadays clearly the world’s most dangerous continent for the media” (emphasis added)

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/30/rsf-report-nearly-1700-journalists-killed-over-past-20-years

robbo203
    Participant

“America is nowadays clearly the world’s most dangerous continent for the media” (emphasis added)

———————

That’s true but I don’t think that refers to the “USA” but rather the “Americas” as a whole – particularly Mexico – and I suspect that is largely related to coverage of the drug cartels.

Russia and Ukraine with their appalling human rights record, top the list in Europe with the most journalists murdered, some very clearly for political reasons

Lizzie45
    Participant

That’s true but I don’t think that refers to the “USA” but rather the “Americas” as a whole – particularly Mexico – and I suspect that is largely related to coverage of the drug cartels.

I didn’t say that it did. If you care to re-read my post you will see that reference is made to the American continent as a whole, and in particular to Mexico, Brazil, Columbia and Honduras.

Anonymous
    Inactive

America is not a continent, it is a region integrated by North America ( one continent, Canada, USA, and Mexico ), South America, Central America ( another continent integrated by several countries ), and the Antilles. ( several islands including the so called virgin islands) and archipielagos

It was the USA that adopted the name America to acquire exclusivity,( in reality, it is Americas for the USA ruling class, and there are some countries named United States also, like Venezuela and Mexico, they are federal republics too ) and peoples call themselves American without knowing anything about Geography when a Jamaican is also an American

The USA also gave the term Hispanic, Hispanics are part of the Iberia Peninsula, and Latinos are the French, Portuguese, and Spanish ( it is not ethnic, they are languages that came from Latin, or language spoken by the Italian peasants ) now the left wings are playing with the concept of Latinx which is also an stupidity

Those continents already had names given by the natives, the European powers based on the Doctrine of Discovery arrogantly gave new names like they were the exclusive owner of the earth. (The Middle East used to be known as Northeast Africa ) and the USA also provoked the creation of several republic like the case of Panama which belonged to the Great Colombia

As an Argentinian wrote: Latin America does not exist, and several languages are spoken in that region including Papiamento, Creole, and Patua.

In Mexico, Colombia, and Ecuador journalists are being killed, and Journalists from Latin America are more reliable than journalists from the USA who are completely sold to the USA ruling class

TrueScotsman
    Blocked

“That doesn´t mean that the figures cited of journalists murdered in Russia is incorrect, does it now?”

Lol. A journalist, a worker, is murdered in cold blood by the Ukrainian Banderite fascists, dozens of other workers are injured in the terrorist attack as well as a 14 year old girl who is in critical condition and your response? What about Russia?! Where, as Lizzie has pointed out, criminal gangs and corrupt business people are murdering journalists, not the state. Instead of condemning the fascist violence perpetrated against innocent civilians, you blame the victims. You are pathetic.

robbo203
    Participant

The only one who is being “pathetic” here is your good self TS. Again and again and again. You are just a joke.

I have been pretty even-handed in condemning both the Ukrainian and Russian regimes. Both are disgusting far-right ultra-nationalist authoritarian regimes. I have also been pretty forthright in opposition to the war and to the use of indiscriminate violence for whatever cause.

I simply pointed out that being a journalist in both Russia and Ukraine is a risky business since these two countries top the league in Europe for journalists killed in the course of their work. That’s a fact. I also corrected the quotation that Lizzie chose to emphasize i.e. “America is nowadays clearly the world’s most dangerous continent for the media”. This is a misleading quote because people would normally associate the word “America” with the “United States” whereas the reference is obviously to the continent and to countries like Mexico.

And what about you? For you now to get on your high moral horse and complain about “fascist violence perpetrated against innocent civilians” makes me want to throw up. You are the one who supports a war that routinely kills innocent civilians every day. You are the one who expressed sociopathic fascist pleasure in turning fellow workers into “fertiliser”. How sick is that?

And you don’t even know how to read properly- no doubt a consequence of the red mist clouding your vision. Lizzie did not say anything about criminal gangs and corrupt business people murdering journalists in Russia. She explicitly said “If you care to re-read my post you will see that reference is made to the American continent as a whole” (I merely corrected the use of the term “America” which suggests the reference is to the United States which is wrong).

Russia has been called a “gangster state”, being, along with Ukraine, one of the most corrupt countries in the world according to the Transparency Index. So it is conceivable that some of the killings are related to criminal gangs. It is also conceivable that the state uses its contacts in the criminal underworld to order contract killings of its critics.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,666 through 4,680 (of 5,150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.