Russian Tensions

April 2024 Forums General discussion Russian Tensions

Viewing 15 posts - 1,711 through 1,725 (of 5,150 total)
  • Author
    Thomas_More
    Participant
    ALB
    Keymaster

This news item is instructive:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61285833.amp

especially the explanation of why it was spread:

“Ukrainian military historian Mikhail Zhirohov described the Ghost of Kyiv story as “propaganda for raising morale”. Speaking to the BBC from Chernihiv, he said that early on in the war the Russians dominated Ukrainian airspace, so a Ukrainian pilot “could only shoot down two or three”.
    “It’s essential to have this propaganda, because our armed forces are smaller, and many think we can’t be equal to them [the Russians]. We need this in wartime,” he said.”

This explains why they exaggerate the number of enemy planes downed, tanks destroyed, troops killed, buildings targetted, civilians under the rubble, etc. etc. They will all be lies or unbelievable exaggerations aimed at raising the morale and/or hatred of the enemy amongst soldiers and civilians.

The same goes for Russian propaganda (though we don’t hear the same amount of that as it’s banned as disinformation — as it is, but so is the Ukrainian propaganda that is religiously relayed by the pro-war-against-Russia media here)

Thomas_More
    Participant

The goons of Russian TV are far worse than any media people here. When do we hear UK or any European media exulting in, and calling for, nuclear war?

Thomas_More
    Participant

And now Lavrov talking about “Jewish blood”, and Hitler again, as though all such rubbish is relevant.

ALB
    Keymaster

What an idiot. And he’s supposed to be an experienced diplomat.

Thomas_More
    Participant

The Russian propaganda is very crude and old-fashioned, coarse and offensive. And they are obsessed with Nazis. We are all Nazis.
    Captn. Mainwaring was more sophisticated.

james19
    Participant

Ukraines president Zelenskyy who came to power claiming to clean up corruption…has a billion in foreign accounts

Unbelievable if true
    Original source The Times (someone posted it in a comments section, needless to say no actual evidence to backup this by the poster )so I did some searching and found this.

The Rada spoke about a billion dollars in Zelensky’s foreign accounts

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by james19.
    ALB
    Keymaster

Ilya Kiva doesn’t seem to be exactly a reliable or unbiased source of information:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illia_Kyva

It wouldn’t be surprising if Zelensky’s had a few million dollars statched away somewhere (a million dollars is about £800,000) but $1.2 billion. That’s a lot of money — about £960,000,000. So much as to make the claim unbelievable.

I suppose it is a good thing that propagandists always exaggerate so much as to lead to people not believing them.

ALB
    Keymaster

A bit like when a Russian missile kills 6 or 7 civilians in Lvov as collateral damage the deputy mayor cries “genocide!”

A good article here, by Caitlin Johnson, as to how difficult it is not to be taken in by war propaganda:

Everyone’s Anti-War Until The War Propaganda Starts

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by ALB.
    Thomas_More
    Participant

Russia’s propaganda machine is cruder than Goebbels’.

Thomas_More
    Participant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10777859/Putins-Doomsday-plane-allows-rule-Russia-nuclear-war-breaks-seen-Moscow.html

He is ignorant of nuclear war if he thinks he’ll survive, let alone rule or have anywhere to rule. They pay fortunes on such things – all utterly useless.

The patriots on the ground will look up at the plane on May 9th and cheer … cheer at a capitalist ruler kind enough to have a plane to rule from after they below have all been incinerated. Ah, patriotism!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/vladimir-putins-doomsday-plane-ruling-26857040

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Thomas_More.
    Thomas_More
    Participant

Al Jazeera:

“Veteran Ukrainian writer reportedly dies in Mariupol

A veteran Ukrainian journalist and writer has died in Mariupol, her colleague says.

Natalia Harakoz, 86, was born into an ethnic Greek family and described the life of Ukraine’s Greek diaspora in several books published between 1989 and 2013.

After Russian shelling destroyed her apartment and library, she had to relocate to the basement of her apartment building, her colleague Anya Kot wrote on Facebook late on Monday. Kot did not specify the cause of death.

Al Jazeera was unable to independently verify Kot’s claim.”

james19
    Participant

Anti Putin protests held in London, where 10s of thousands protested.

Read the headline…

Clearly Pitri Patel, wouldn’t be calling for these protesters to be arrested on the grounds of being noisy and an inconvenience to people! Police taking full force, acting to the letter the new laws..on protests…arresting people! BLM, Bristol and Clapham spring to mind

I quipped, with my online post that the demonstrators would cause inconvenience and would be very noisy..

only to be told too bad…

that I supported Putin in her next stupid post. Accused me of being a supporter of the SWP, their rag , which was 40 years out of date?
    Then to be told I am an incel? When I replied that should she drop dead.

Because of this clown, I will not give a damn about how many Ukrainians die….to be honest the more the merrier. I crushed a grape this morning.

She said Ukrainians were being displaced….
    What about the 8 million Yemenis displaced… ?
    If this idiot doesn’t get off her armchair and fight… she a hypocrite.
    *10s of thousands? LOL

Oh yeah. Deport them if they try to come to the UK. NO to Ukrainian immigrants! Let them apply for citizenship in the first country they land in. Fuck off

Thomas_More
    Participant

Just because we know capitalist competition is the root cause of the war does not necessarily mean the heads of state are sane.
    Imagine Jim Jones with the red button. Would he hold back? So why assume Putin would?

Plus, if he’s an apocalyptic Christian believer ….

ALB
    Keymaster

When Borys gave his Churchill impersonation before the Ukrainian parliament today he said (read):

“When my country faced the threat of invasion during the Second World War, our parliament — like yours — continued to meet throughout the conflict.”

True, the House of Commons did continue to meet during the Second World Slaughter but only one MP was interned. By contrast in Ukraine, a number of opposition parties, making up about 10 percent of their parliamentarians, have been banned by the Zelensky government. They weren’t present but either on the run or detained by the Ukrainian secret police.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,711 through 1,725 (of 5,150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.