RIP Goggins

May 2024 Forums General discussion RIP Goggins

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Never ever heard of him so was surprised by the amount of eulogising … man of principle etc  etc… i thought i should have known about him. 

So checked him out on a google…strongly supported the Iraq war, strongly opposed any investigation into the the Iraq war, supported the introduction of ID cards, Foundation hospitals, anti-terrorism laws, for stronger asylum laws, for and against climate change legislation, supported updating Trident, for reduing the abortion time limit from 24 to 22 weeks, for more restrictions on IVF access, against extension of feeedom of infprmation, supported stricter rules on incapacity benefit and lone parents

He spoke in Parliament 61 times last year- above average

He submitted 11 written questions last year – below average

So i surmise that he liked the sound of his own voice. 

He was, however,  pro-gay and anti-hunting and active in supporting mesothelioma compensation and prisoner re-habilitation

http://politics.theguardian.com/person/howtheyvoted/0,,-1961,00.html

Overall , a run-of-the-mill Labour establishment MP so i forgive myself for not ever having heard of him 

jondwhite
    Participant

Man/person of principle looks like it means even less interested in a coherant politics than most politicians who consistently do as they're told.

ALB
    Keymaster

Never heard of him either but from the voting record you give I guessed he was a member of the Pope's Brass Band.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Well deduced, ALB…and he was very active in the church field…educated at St Bede's College, before going on to study at the Roman Catholic seminary Ushaw College (1971–1973), although he did not enter the priesthood… worked as a child care worker with the 'Liverpool Catholic Social Services Wiki adds he opposed same sex marriage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Goggins

HollyHead
    Participant

Did he have any opinions regarding the proposed new HO fascia?

ALB
    Keymaster

I imagine he'd favour white and yellow or yellow and purple.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.