Proposed energy bills strike

May 2024 Forums General discussion Proposed energy bills strike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lizzie45
    Participant

“In just a few weeks, thousands and thousands of people from across the country have come together to say we refuse to be pushed into fuel poverty. We no longer want to pay for the profits of the energy companies. We can’t allow anyone to freeze in their homes this winter.

We’re building the biggest mass non-payment campaign since the Poll Tax. We’re showing the powers that be that our collective power will force an end to this crisis. For too long we have sat by while power and wealth in this country have been accumulated by too few people at the expense of the rest of us.

The Don’t Pay campaign has reached millions of people already. The support we’ve received demonstrates the anger and frustration at a broken energy system that needs to be drastically transformed to serve the interests of people, not the profits of energy company shareholders.”

https://dontpay.uk/

ALB
    Keymaster

I don’t suppose this will do any harm but it is a gross exaggeration, in fact a delusion, to claim that “our collective power will force an end to this crisis.” How? The idea seems to be put pressure on the government to do something. But not even the government, with much more “force” at its disposal, can “end this crisis”, even if it wanted to. They can mitigate it to some extent by tax changes and hand-outs till the price of oil and gas comes back down to what it was but that won’t be before the war in Ukraine ends.

In any event, cancelling direct debits can’t bring down the price of gas.

Personally I don’t pay my energy bills by direct debit anyway. Hope that doesn’t mean I will miss out on the £400 hand-out that’s supposed to be on its way soon

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.