Marx’s own advice on reading ‘Capital’

April 2024 Forums General discussion Marx’s own advice on reading ‘Capital’

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DJP
    Participant

I once read, or read about, some advice that Marx wrote in a letter to a correspondent about reading ‘Capital’. I think the advice was to start near the back first then read the first three sections later. I’ve not been able to relocate this letter or reference to it anywhere. Anybody know what I’m talking about and where I could find it, or a reference to it?

Lew
    Participant
    DJP
    Participant

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

DJP
    Participant

The letter mentioned in the review can be read online here:
    https://marxists.architexturez.net/archive/marx/works/1867/letters/67_11_30b.htm

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is no such letter by or from Marx. This was the advice of Althusser, who disagreed with the dialectical analysis in section 1 and suggested reading the historical material first.

DJP
    Participant

“There is no such letter by or from Marx.”

Strange thing to say, especially seeing as the link to the letter that was published in MECW is above.

Marx says that “the most immediately readable” sections of Capital are “the chapters on the ‘Working Day’, ‘Co-operation, Division of Labour and Machinery’ and finally on ‘Primitive Accumulation’”. But that’s different to saying that *everyone* should read those chapters first or that this is “the best” way to read the book.

DJP
    Participant

Here’s the full relevant part of the other letter from MECW volume 45, page 212.

To Mrs Wollmann (19 March 1877) Marx wrote:

“Should you wish to leaf through some of Capital, it would be best to start with the last section, p. 314. In the scientific exposition the arrangement is prescribed for the author, although some other arrangement might often be more convenient and more appropriate for the reader.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.