Link Between Airlines’ Profitability and Accident Rates

April 2024 Forums General discussion Link Between Airlines’ Profitability and Accident Rates

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

“Airlines’ accident risk is highest when they are performing very close to their financial targets, according to a study…”

See source article.

I found this study interesting as I’ve direct experience in the aviation field and was made redundant due to my questioning (internally) of safety violations and scheduling which inflicted chronic crew fatigue.

While I would agree with many of the authors statements there is one which, I feel, is blatantly inaccurate and/or naive: “I don’t think people are saying consciously, ‘We really want to hit this financial target, let’s cut back on our safety expenditures,’”

In my experience omitting/delaying safety inspections, repairs on aircraft and both falsifying crew rest/duty periods and scheduling crew to the maxim limits of said rest and duty periods are clearly driven by profits.

I need to say my aviation experiences were in America based with flying in North America. There is a very common saying in commercial (American) aviation which sums up the worst of the industry:

“It’s cheaper to replace the flight crew than the aircraft.”

DJP
    Participant

Another example how production for profit fails to account for real human need, and why state intervention is necessary for preventing the market system from tearing itself apart.I’m half remembering a TV programme I saw last year which said that US airline pilots often have to have a second job as the wages are so low. Don’t know what truth there is in this?There was a book put out in the UK called ‘Murdering the Dead’ which was a compilation of the leftwing-leninist Bordiga’s writing on similar subjects, don’t know if it’s still in print though

alien1
    Participant

invasion of the ‘Comment SpamBots’

Anonymous
    Inactive
    alien1 wrote:

Cheers for the alert.  The user responsible has been temporarily blocked and the spam removed.

ALB
    Keymaster
    gnome wrote:
    alien1 wrote:

Cheers for the alert.  The user responsible has been temporarily blocked and the spam removed.

There’s still a dozen or so of his crap under General Discussion that has yet to be cleared away.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ALB wrote:
    There’s still a dozen or so of his crap under General Discussion that has yet to be cleared away.

Thanks.  Hopefully that’s the lot.

PJShannon
    Keymaster

Thanks Dave. Did you hit ‘report to Mollom’ when deleting the posts? This helps Mollom work better in the future. Also what was the offending username, I can delete it from the list and block the IP.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    admin wrote:
    Thanks Dave. Did you hit ‘report to Mollom’ when deleting the posts? This helps Mollom work better in the future. Also what was the offending username, I can delete it from the list and block the IP.

Oops; I regret not.  The offending username was johns.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.