How do I ‘quote’

April 2024 Forums Website / Technical How do I ‘quote’

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

How do I part quote and multi quote? I have noticed some forum members are able to do it, but I have to ‘cut and paste’ which is untidy and difficult to follow.

cheers

PJShannon
    Keymaster

Pressing the ‘quote’ button automatically puts the post in quote wrappers.But you can also do it manually by adding the word quote in square brackets before any text you want to quote then /quote again in square brackets at the end of the quoted section.You can also indicate who the quote is by putting quote=whatever authors name is at the start of the quote. Again encase the command in square brackets [ ]Hope that makes sense?

Anonymous
    Inactive

For example, here is what your text before posting might look like.  I have left a space in the top command line between the first square bracket and the next character in order to show this:-[ quote=TheOld GreyWhistle]How do I part quote and multi quote? I have noticed some forum members are able to do it, but I have to ‘cut and paste’ which is untidy and difficult to follow.[/quote]OK?  Enter the text required (and the command lines without any spaces between the characters) and when you post your message it should look like this:-

TheOld GreyWhistle wrote:
    How do I part quote and multi quote? I have noticed some forum members are able to do it, but I have to ‘cut and paste’ which is untidy and difficult to follow.

Use the same principle for as many quotes as you want  :-)

Ed
    Participant

part quote is the quote button at the bottom right hand corner of the post. in between edit and reply I don’t know how to multi quote :-)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Ed wrote:
    part quote is the quote button at the bottom right hand corner of the post. in between edit and reply I don’t know how to multi quote :-)

cheers Ed!  

admin wrote:
    Pressing the ‘quote’ button automatically puts the post in quote wrappers.But you can also do it manually by adding the word quote in square brackets before any text you want to quote then /quote again in square brackets at the end of the quoted section.You can also indicate who the quote is by putting quote=whatever authors name isat the start of the quote. Again encase the command in square brackets [ ]Hope that makes sense?

Cheers. It is making sence  

gnome wrote:
      For example, here is what your text before posting might look like.  I have left a space in the top command line between the first square bracket and the next character in order to show this:-[ quote=TheOld GreyWhistle]How do I part quote and multi quote? I have noticed some forum members are able to do it, but I have to ‘cut and paste’ which is untidy and difficult to follow.

OK?  Enter the text required (and the command lines without any spaces between the characters) and when you post your message it should look like this:- TheOld GreyWhistle wrote: How do I part quote and multi quote? I have noticed some forum members are able to do it, but I have to ‘cut and paste’ which is untidy and difficult to follow.  Use the same principle for as many quotes as you want  :-)[/quote]Very helpful, gnome. I think I almost have the ‘knack’ . but I don’t understand why I am have a problem with yours. It only put half your comment in quotes

Anonymous
    Inactive
    gnome wrote:
    For example, here is what your text before posting might look like.  I have left a space in the top command line between the first square bracket and the next character in order to show this:-[ quote=TheOld GreyWhistle]How do I part quote and multi quote? I have noticed some forum members are able to do it, but I have to ‘cut and paste’ which is untidy and difficult to follow.

OK?  Enter the text required (and the command lines without any spaces between the characters) and when you post your message it should look like this:-

Use the same principle for as many quotes as you want  :-)[/quote] This is what I get when I press quote on your comment. Must have something to do with the amount of square bracks. Anyway thanks, I have the general idea now.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    gnome wrote:
    For example, here is what your text before posting might look like.  I have left a space in the top command line between the first square bracket and the next character in order to show this:-[ quote=TheOldGreyWhistle]How do I part quote and multi quote? I have noticed some forum members are able to do it, but I have to ‘cut and paste’ which is untidy and difficult to follow[ /quote]OK?  Enter the text required (and the command lines without any spaces between the characters) and when you post your message it should look like this:-

Use the same principle for as many quotes as you want  :-)

TheOldGreyWhistle wrote:
    [ /quote]This is what I get when I press quote on your comment. Must have something to do with the amount of square bracks. Anyway thanks, I have the general idea now.

More, I suspect, to do with the position and content of the command lines within the square brackets :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.