George Monbiot and conspiracies

May 2024 Forums General discussion George Monbiot and conspiracies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lew
    Participant

It was only a few years ago that Monbiot said capitalism was the only game in town. Now he has changed his mind, though I suspect that what he is really opposed to is “neoliberalism” rather than capitalism. His analysis of conspiracies, I think, is spot on.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/may/04/youre-going-to-call-me-a-holocaust-denier-now-are-you-george-monbiot-comes-face-to-face-with-his-local-conspiracy-theorist

ALB
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s a good article (but you didn’t say it was going to be a “long read”!). I agree that blaming “neo-liberalism” for the growth of conspiracy fictions is a weak part. After all, Jewish conspiracy fictions pre-date that by a long way and were around under state capitalism let alone Keynesianism.

Anyway, neo-liberalism seems to be on the way out as the main capitalist ideology, especially as concerns international trade with the leading capitalist states imposing sanctions on rivals ostensibly for political reasons. Even internally, the trend is towards state support for selected private capitalist enterprises in the form of contracts and subsidies — the sort of “crony capitalism” that the Labour Party is proclaiming from the rooftops it is aiming to practise when it takes over later this year.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.