Did Joan of Arc have a brain tumour?

March 2024 Forums General discussion Did Joan of Arc have a brain tumour?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

When someone hears voices, or a siren in their head, sees things, etc., like a friend of mine who has suddenly changed from potential SPGB member to manic conspiracist, should I be suspecting a malady such as an infant brain tumour?

Not that he would hearken or see a doctor. … He is too wrapt up in his very sudden but persistent delusions.

Bijou Drains
    Participant

I would advise that your friend seeks medical help, or at least some form of support from professional/mental health/self help bodies. Psychotic episodes (which you appear to be describing) seldom end well and can lead to very serious long term mental health issues. I would have thought it is unlikely to be a brain tumour. I would also investigate if has a history of illicit drug use, this may also be a factor.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Bijou Drains.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. I’ve told him again, but can’t force him.

He does have a drug-use history, and still smokes weed.

ALB
    Keymaster

More likely to be chemical, too much of what the brain needs to function normally. Hearing voices is not all that rare. Some people can live with it as they are able to distinguish most of the time between voices that are “internal” and those that come from outside. Unfortunately many others can’t. More here from Mind. Drugs can work but they will have side effects.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. He changes suddenly his world view, like a teenager, although he is 38.

Bijou Drains
    Participant

The difficulty with weed is that the active element is difficult to judge. More potent strains have been marketed over the last few years.

To make an analogy there is a big difference between the impact of drinking a couple of pints of 1970’s mild ale and drinking half a bottle of turps. Both are alcohol, but the impact is very different.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.