De Sade, Enlightenment thinker.

April 2024 Forums Off topic De Sade, Enlightenment thinker.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Lizzie45
    Participant

Pay attention. I am talking about the article ZJW referred you to, not the random “sadist” in the street you seem to have in mind.

You pay attention! I wasn’t referring to the content of the article per se but to the individual that it was about.

No one on this forum is interested in inflicting pain and humiliation on others….

How do you know? Are you clairvoyant? 🙂

robbo203
    Participant

You pay attention! I wasn’t referring to the content of the article per se but to the individual that it was about.

Really? Is that why you declined to read the article ZJW referred you to with this these words:

“No thanks ZJW. I have no interest whatever in anyone who ‘gets off’ in response to extreme pain, suffering or humiliation inflicted non-consensually on others.”

No one on this forum is interested in inflicting pain and humiliation on others….

How do you know? Are you clairvoyant? 🙂

———————————–

Actually, that question would be better directed at your good self. You are making the assumption that there is someone here “who ‘gets off’ in response to extreme pain, suffering or humiliation inflicted non-consensually on others.” Otherwise, why decline the suggestion that you read the article in question?

Lizzie45
    Participant

Otherwise, why decline the suggestion that you read the article in question?.

Christus! Have you been spending too long basking in the Spanish sun?

I declined “the suggestion” because I already know all I wish to know about De Sade including his penchant for inflicting pain, suffering and humiliation non-consensually on others.

Thomas_More
    Participant

And as to Sade himself, again you have to use discernment and avoid the sensationalist trash out there.
    These are the worthwhile writers available in English:
    Geoffrey Gorer
    C.R. Dawes
    Guy Endore
    Gilbert Lely
    Maurice Lever
    Francine du Plessix-Gray
    Simone de Beauvoir

Generally I would avoid the internet.

Thomas_More
    Participant

Prostitution is sadly part and parcel of class society, both in Sade’s day and today. I say this because there is no proof Sade ever engaged in non-consenting sexual activity, not in rape, nor kidnapping.
    Rose Keller was as hard-nosed a woman of the streets as they come. Her story was proven false and another attempt on her part to extort money, for which she was notorious.
    Are those today who pay “dominatrices” for sex games guilty of a terrible crime?

I doubt I would have liked Sade personally, but he was no Jack the Ripper or Gilles de Rais.

robbo203
    Participant

I declined “the suggestion” because I already know all I wish to know about De Sade including his penchant for inflicting pain, suffering and humiliation non-consensually on others…

Which confirms my point concerning your narrow and bigoted approach to the whole subject ….

You imagined the article is about ‘getting off’ in response to extreme pain, suffering or humiliation inflicted non-consensually on others” and for which reason you declined to read the article. Saying that this reason now “includes” the above is a classic case of you trying to wriggle out of the situation you have made for yourself

Thomas_More
    Participant

If you don’t want to know anything about Sade, fair enough; but don’t begrudge me opening a thread on him, which I may. You jump straight in and tell me I “need help.”
    I have always liked Sade, and that doesn’t mean I am somehow ill.
    I have many interests and like many writers, artists, musicians (did you know Sade wrote musicals too?) and other great thinkers.

Your words show any knowledge you have of him to be paltry.

Thomas_More
    Participant

https://www.centrepompidou.fr/en/ressources/oeuvre/c6bk9z

The very gentle and compassionate artist and writer Maurice Heine was the man who pulled the Marquis de Sade out of obscurity to be read and studied in the 20th century.
    Heine was a friend of Gilbert Lely, from whom I have a postcard sent a few days before Lely’s decease.
    Lely was of Jewish family and hid in Provence near Sade’s former chateau of La Coste throughout the Vichy years and Nazi rule.
    Heine died of starvation in 1940 since he used all his rationing allowance to ensure his numerous cats were regularly fed.

Thomas_More
    Participant

Sade antispeciste. (French).

Sade antispéciste ?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.