Critical Race Theory

March 2024 Forums General discussion Critical Race Theory

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    ALB
    Keymaster

One reason I wrote “if” is because that Maoist article says of one school of CRT:

“Realism rejects that structural racism can be eliminated through class solidarity because the contradiction between white working class and black working class is an antagonistic contradiction (or very close to being one)” (While Maoism says it’s only a non-antagonistic contradiction).

If CRT is just pointing to the “legal codification” of racism, fair enough — though I don’t think that racism is “codified” in law in the US, is it? After all the law didn’t prevent a “black” president being elected or a “black” head of the armed forces being appointed. If they are talking about legal practice rather than what it says on paper, that’s another matter of course. As you say, discrimination on the basis of skin colour is still a big issue in the US.

DJP
    Participant

One reason I wrote “if” is because that Maoist article says of one school of CRT:

“Realism rejects that structural racism can be eliminated through class solidarity because the contradiction between white working class and black working class is an antagonistic contradiction (or very close to being one)”

Yes, I did notice the “if”. I wonder what they are actually talking about – a strong case of “citation needed”. I don’t think the Maoist, or Trotskyist, press should be the first choice for sources on this..

The only thing we could say against CRT is that it’s reformist, another appeal for equal rights to exploitation. But as far as I understand it right now they don’t seem to be working from false premises.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is racist because it is based on the concept of race, and only racists believe and support the concept of race, we do know that race is a sociological creation used to keep the workers divided based on the colors of their skin which is only a biological pigment supported by medical embryology and molecular biology I am not repeating any lies, and I do not have to do that either, Many USA political and ideological theories have been created by the right and then they are propagated by the left, and the USA right-winger is using it in order to obtain the votes of the ‘whites’ workers, they are also claiming that the whites are the victims, there are several leftwing groups who have also rejected the same theory. There is only one ideology in this world which is the bourgeoise ideology

DJP
    Participant

It is racist because it is based on the concept of race, and only racists believe and support the concept of race

But CRT is explicitly *not* based on an acceptance of “race” as a biological category.

ALB
    Keymaster

I still say CRT is racist because it promotes the idea of “white privilege” with its suggestion that all whites are somehow privileged. This sees the struggle in society as being “blacks” against “whites”. Here is an example found at random.

We mustn’t be put off criticising it just because their counterparts, the “white” racists, don’t like it.

The struggle in society is not between “blacks” and “whites” but between workers and capitalists.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They can say anything that they want but it is based on the concept of white vs black or viceversa which is a sociological concept, therefore they are contradicting themselves, also whites are not the only ones who have been influenced by the concept of racism, there are many blacks, Asians and Latinos who are followers of Donald trump and many are racists too

In the Dominican Republic Haitians are discriminated because they are blacks but 85% of the Dominicans are blacks or mixed

Anonymous
    Inactive

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/08/30/crit-a30.html

This is one group from the left that does not support the CRT

DJP
    Participant

The struggle in society is not between “blacks” and “whites” but between workers and capitalists.

Which piece of CRT law research says “the struggle in society is between “blacks” and “whites”?

All it says is that the racist legacy of slavery / white supremacy / segregation has real effects in today’s society and not talking about it will not solve the problem. It’s not racist to talk about the effects that “race” has on society and want to do something about it.

ALB
    Keymaster

Maybe some CRT theorists are just criticising discrimination (like we do) but I assumed that they were saying rather more than that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/03/20/ethn-m20.html
    Racism is not the cause of inequality in the USA

Most of the poor in the USA are whites. The so-called white privilege is only a fallacy because if you are poor you do not have any kind of privileges

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why the Right Attacks Critical Race Theory – Gerald Horne

USA black historian Dr Gerald Horne on the CRT

Anonymous
    Inactive

https://en.internationalism.org/content/16886/slavery-and-racism-tools-capitalist-exploitation

Slavery and racism are tools of capitalist exploitation. The real struggle against racism must be the struggle against capitalism, and only the world working class would be able to eliminate racism, exploitation and inequality, therefore, the real root of racism is capitalism or the class society

ALB
    Keymaster

Having read that interview with Gerard Horne (is he — or was he ever — a member of the Communist Party?) I have to agree, DJP, that you are right about CRT. It is not a Black Nationalist or Racist Theory but what you said — an interpretation of US history which explains why discrimination always has been and still is a feature of society and politics there.

It is easy to see why US patriots want it banned from being taught. It doesn’t paint a good history of “their” country even though it is accurate.

Not that the CRT partisans are, or consider themselves to be, unpatriotic Americans. They want the USA to be a discrimination-free capitalist society and state like most other capitalist countries. In fact capitalism isn’t inherently racist so they are not demanding the impossible.

ALB
    Keymaster

Is this true?

“Brighton and Hove City Council has begun to educate governors, heads, staff, parents and even pupils based on their race. White children will be taught that they are ‘privileged’ while non-white children will be taught that they are victims of their white classmates. This warped ideology is known as ‘Critical Race Theory’ (CRT).”

Or will there be a group with an ace to grind behind this petition?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.