Coronavirus

May 2024 Forums General discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 1,593 total)
  • Author
    Bijou Drains
    Participant

That is a really useful article Marcos, thank you for sourcing it.

The virus escape theory seems like typical Trump approach, throw enough shite around and some of it will hit your enemies. Then you can use it to cover the fact that it was you that farted in the first place.

ALB
    Keymaster

Don’t know if this relevant to the discussion but someone has posted this on a left-communist discussion forum I’m on. I don’t know what the point he is trying to make is; it seems to be that “shelter” (isolation) doesn’t make that much difference.

A friend of mine decided to do some number crunching on COVID-19. Here are here results. – Jeff

As of today’s figures 4/16, here are COVID-19 deaths per capita for several European countries:

Belgium       0.0419%
    Spain           0.0413%
    Italy              0.0366%
    UK                0.0202%
    Netherlands 0.0194%
    Switzerland  0.0149%
    Sweden       0.0132%
    Denmark     0.0055%
    Germany     0.0048%
    Austria         0.0046%
    Norway        0.0028%
    Finland        0.0014%

So, assuming all other countries had strong shelter in place rules, note that there are at least 6 countries in Europe that have a higher COVID-19 mortality per capita than Sweden, even though they have shelter in place.

As for the states, I usually collate this info every Monday.  So as of Monday 4/13, the following 5 states in the US had a higher COVID-19 mortality per capita than Sweden.  I believe they all have strong shelter in place rules:

New York     0.0481%
    New Jersey  0.0264%
    Louisiana     0.0183%
    Michigan      0.0139%
    Connecticut 0.0137%

BTW, As of 4/13, California’s COVID-19 deaths per capita was 0.0016%, ranking 30 out of the 50 states+DC.

Sources, and additional comments.
    COVID-19 deaths: https://ncov2019.live/data
    DJP
    Participant

What those above figures don’t take into account though is the delay in getting the data and the fact that not all countries are starting from the same point in time, it’s comparing apples and oranges. We’re only at the beginning of this really..

Anonymous
    Inactive

“….it’s comparing apples and oranges.”

Precisely.  The demographics of Sweden, for example, compared with the UK are quite different.  The population is less than a sixth, there are only three cities with a population in excess of 300k, the population density is a mere 25 people per Km2, the median age is 41 years and more than half of households are single-person.

ALB
    Keymaster

So, another amateur epidemiologist that doesn’t know what he’s talking about. That’s what I suspected.

Bijou Drains
    Participant

What is interesting is the counries at the bottom of the deaths per capita table all started lock down early and did lots of testing.

I haven’t had time to do it yet, but I would guess that if you correlated it to population density yoiu would also find a significant link, Belgium Netherlands have high population density and if you worked the figures out per capita in SE England I bet they would go right up.

ZJW
    Participant

ALB: What left-communist discussion forum is that?

ALB
    Keymaster

It is this but I don’t suppose you’ll be able to see it as it’s an old Yahoo group that now only members can see.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Just to add tothe numbers analysis.

Sweden’s total fatalities per-million (118)  compared to their neighbours: Denmark 55 deaths per million, while Finland’s rate is just 13

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/graph-shows-swedens-coronavirus-death-toll-rapidly-increasing-compared-to-other-countries/ar-BB12MTjV?ocid=spartanntp

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Compassionate capitalism and coronavirus?

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/institutional-investors-big-pharma-cooperate-coronavirus-200417174302280.html

“investors in 15 big pharmaceutical companies have called on the drugmakers to set aside rivalries and short-term interests and cooperate on finding solutions to the coronavirus.”

PartisanZ
    Participant

They are combining to try and save capitalism lest  their goose does not lay the golden eggs as it used to.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

I think, Matt, as we always explained, when the prospect of the end of capitalism approaches, the capitalist class will offer all manner of reforms, ameliorations and palliatives to stave off the inevitable.

As The Who said, it is up to us not to be fooled again

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/17/coronavirus-deficit-american-economy

The Covid-19 crisis has clearly demonstrated what should have been obvious already: provisioning society – whether with food, disinfecting wipes, toilet paper or medical supplies – is not a financial issue. If we can’t produce enough masks, ventilators or food, finance will not help. Society’s capacity to produce real output is what limits its ability to provision itself.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Scarcity and Infinite Wants: The Founding Myths of Economics

Scarcity, Myths of capitalist economics

robbo203
    Participant

Quite an interesting article on  why India has been relatively unscathed thus far by the virus.   This could  have implications for other parts of the world

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/why-does-india-have-so-few-coronavirus-covid-19-cases-and-deaths/ar-BB12PEZG?ocid=msedgntp

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 1,593 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.