American terrorism

April 2024 Forums General discussion American terrorism

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Quote:
    Three people have died after a man exchanged gunfire with police from inside a birth control clinic in the US city of Colorado Springs, police say.One police officer and two civilians were killed, Mayor John Suthers said. Several other people were injured. A male suspect was taken into custody after a stand-off with police lasting hours at the Planned Parenthood clinic. A number of people were trapped inside the clinic while the stand-off with police took place. Authorities say the motive for the incident is unclear.

Note in this BBC report that this is not classified as even a "suspected" right-wing or fundamentalist Christian terrorist attack. Would it be the same if carried out by a muslim? 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34950261

Since 1977, there have been 8 murders, 17 attempted murders, 42 bombings, 186 arsons, and thousands of incidents of criminal activities against abortion clinics and personnel.  In 2009 Dr. George Tiller was assassinated in his church in Wichita, Kansas. And will there be a crack-down on Presidential candidates, politicians and church militants who incite hatred of medical staff involved in birth control. Doubt it, very much. 

einsturzende
    Participant

Divide and rule. It also helps those who commit fundamentalist Christian (or Christianists as the media should call them if they were to follow their example on Islam) at the top are who overwhelmingly white and male. The way they may perceive it, and often spin it, as misbehaving women who shouldn't have gotten themselves into such a situation and shouldn't be kicking up a fuss over nothing and that men's rights are taken away by abortion. This isn't overt of course, the newsmedia prefers to show things from a slightly different angle.At the end of the day, the act doesn't make it terrorism in their eyes – the person who commits the act makes it terrorism.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

If this is not a terrorist attack, what is?http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/oregon-occupation-militia-willing-to-kill-or-be-killed-occupy-us-wildlife-reserve-a6794366.htmlTheir leader has reportedly informed local press that the men are “willing to kill or be killed” ….Not very different from Muslim Martyrs 

DJP
    Participant
    alanjjohnstone wrote:
    If this is not a terrorist attack, what is?

That's not a terrorist attack. Or even an attack.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Yes it is Are you seriously saying that if a group of Islamists seized control of a public park and defiantly said that they would shoot anybody endeavouring to remove them, the media would not call it an act of terror?We should not forget that this is almost a carbon copy of previous situation by the self-styled militia movement where snipers positioned themselves to fight off any police intervention and where shortly after, two participants without provocation went on to kill two policemen in a restaurant.I do concede that defining terrorism for the law is difficult but only in a court of law, not for us.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_terrorismIn the UK the law defines it suchhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_Act_2000 

Quote:
    the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious[, racial] or ideological cause.
    ALB
    Keymaster

Looks more like the sort of direct action that anti-frackers, etc take in this country only, being America, guns come into it. As we know, America has a traditional of guns being used, on both sides, even in trade union struggles.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Not so sure your comparison is on the right lines. Protest and occupations for a myriad of objectives including environmental issues and have an extremely long history worldwide.But this act is unique, not because of the use of weapons, but because at the centre of the dispute is the issue of government. Whether federal authority is legitimate under the constitution and if it is not, then it is fit and proper to challenge it by force of arms, according to the right-wing libertarian militia members. They are domestic terrorist network using guns to threaten and intimidate, certainly not "patriots"protecting the constitution or they would be standing alongside the protesters when police murder a black youth, particularly in "open-carry" states.It can be seen as an act of rebellion and sedition (albeit, the militia will claim it is self-defence against State tyranny) I don't think militia movement can be viewed as an organised crime conspiracy as some see ISIS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_organizations_in_the_United_States I see this as a continuing pattern where some acts of terror are purposefully not labelled as such for political reasons and others are. Do you think if BlackLivesMatter activists acted in such a way, the police would not be present in force with SWAT teams and National Guard. I certainly see a racial element in the kid-glove treatment. 

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

And i was just thinking, when was the last time anti-fracking protesters in the United States turned up with AK-47s and an assortment of other assault rifles…i can't properly recall…

ALB
    Keymaster
    alanjjohnstone wrote:
    And i was just thinking, when was the last time anti-fracking protesters in the United States turned up with AK-47s and an assortment of other assault rifles…i can't properly recall…

I thought the best advice when you are in a hole is to stop digging

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.