Underplayed Classics

April 2024 Forums Off topic Underplayed Classics

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Moo
    Participant

Here’s a lovely song* from a band from Toronto you should definitely check ooot (if you haven’t already).

If I Had a Million Dollars by Barenaked Ladies

*That should be played on the radio a lot.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Moo.
    Moo
    Participant

I can’t wait until December to post this song.

Christmas Dream – Perry Como

I could have sworn it was written by Burt Bacharach & Hal David, but it was written by Andrew Lloyd-Webber & Tim Rice (except the German lyrics, which were written by some German dude).

Bijou Drains
    Participant

Here’s one which, to me, clearly spells out class antagonism.

I used to live in a street which clearly had a dividing line between one side of the street and the other.

One side 8 bedroomed leafy toryville and the other side a typical Tyneside terrace. Guess side I lived on.

The guy opposite me was a self entitled arsehole (is it politically correct to describe someone as a stuck up ponce, these days, if so that is what he was/is.)

On rememberence day he used to put on his fucking RAF uniform and put a bleeding Union Jack on his garage, what a twat.

Anyway, I used to blast this through the open window on a Sunday afternoon just to cause him discomfort. Might not have been particularly politically constructive, but it cheered me up.

The happy ending is that his wife ran off with the gardener, took the kids and screwed him for his pension. Happy days.

Moo
    Participant

There are a couple of streets like that on my paper-round, BD. One street has has 24 3-bedroom houses on one side & 14 4-bedroom ones on the other. The other street has 12 2-bedroom houses & 1 5-bedroom one. Imagine!
    The people who live in both the big houses & the smaller ones are nice, though.

Anyway, in keeping with the rebellious rock theme, here’s Eddie & the Hot Rods with ‘Do Anything you Wanna do’:

Moo
    Participant

Another Girl, Another Planet – the Only Ones

A ’70’s song that sounds as if it was written & recorded in the ’90’s.

Moo
    Participant

Take me Home – Phil Collins

Another marvellous music video. The woman playing Collins’ wife at the end, sounds like a young Margaret Thatcher.

Moo
    Participant

Brian Wilson by Barenaked Ladies

During live shows they change the lyric from, “I had a dream that I was 300 pounds, and though I was very heavy, I flouted ’till I couldn’t see the ground” to, “I had a dream that I was 300 pounds, and during Lockdown, I really was 300 pounds!”

Moo
    Participant

Dancing in the Dark – the Downtown Boys (Bruce Springsteen cover)

This is from the Eleanor Marx biopic, ‘Miss Marx’

Moo
    Participant

Hello, This is Joannie (the Telephone Answering Machine Song) – Paul Evans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRfS10Ae46o

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Moo.
    Moo
    Participant

The Eagle – Abba

Moo
    Participant

The Visitors – Abba

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Moo.
    DJP
    Participant

Surprisingly, The SPGB have become popular in the world of K-pop. For those that can’t understand the Korean, the lyrics are a perfect word-for-word translation of the DOP.

imposs1904
    Participant

I think you’ve just outed yourself as someone who looks up ‘SPGB’ on YouTube. 😉

imposs1904
    Participant

It was Roddy Frame’s 60th birthday yesterday. A bona fide classic from back in the day:

DJP
    Participant

“I think you’ve just outed yourself as someone who looks up ‘SPGB’ on YouTube.”

So you don’t think I spend my time looking up K-pop? Surely that’s presuming

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.