Science under capitalism.

April 2024 Forums General discussion Science under capitalism.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thomas_More
    Participant

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2073923-head-transplant-carried-out-on-monkey-claims-maverick-surgeon/

Took only two minutes for me to be suspended from Facebook after posting this link.
    Out of sight, out of mind.

Thomas_More
    Participant

“Anti-ageing” experiments.

Yet another justification for money-making “science.”

The ageing process is part of nature. I wonder what horrific suffering they are now inflicting on animals in yet another pursuit of the human obsession with eternal life and eternal youth!

robbo203
    Participant

“Took only two minutes for me to be suspended from Facebook after posting this link.
    Out of sight, out of mind.”

I am just gobsmacked. What reason did FB give? It’s absolutely ludicrous. New Scientist is a fairly reputable mainstream scientific journal is it not?

Thomas_More
    Participant

I couldn’t find it after posting, and when I pressed on my wall, a restricted notice came up. I was also restricted after posting these lines from L’Internationale:

“No more deluded by reaction
    On tyrants only we’ll make war
    The soldiers too will take strike action
    They’ll break ranks and fight no more.”

And this was in that case given as the reason.

Thomas_More
    Participant

Continued use of Compound 1080 within the United States is tantamount to biological terrorism.

The substance is so dangerous, the FBI considers it “most likely to be used by terrorists or for malicious intent,” yet it is still employed as a pest deterrent. When predators do attack livestock outfitted with special protection collars imbued with Compound 1080, the result is often the gruesome death of both animals, as well as those that may happen upon the carcasses later.

Protected species, like wolves, bears, and even eagles have all been inadvertently killed by Compound 1080 and similar chemical-based pest deterrent methods, and in colder weather, the poison has the potential to leach into water systems, wreaking massive damage on the environment.

Compound 1080 contributes to the deaths of 37 animals a day, both those labeled “pests” and non-target animals.

Thomas_More
    Participant

A friend writes:

US Wildlife Services, an agency of the US Department of Agriculture has killed over a million “pest” animals in one year. The “problems” and “pests” are bears, wolves, cougars, bobcats, raccoons, prairie dogs, etc. Some are shot, and some are killed by 1080/sodium cyanide bombs. The latter are indiscriminate killers that take the lives of many unintended victims. It is appalling, but it continues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.