European Single Market: Will Britain stay in?

March 2024 Forums General discussion European Single Market: Will Britain stay in?

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author

The key fact from the Dinner leak:https://judithknott.com/2017/05/01/dogs-dinner/

Quote:
    Very interesting point: May views Brexit as similar to “protocol 36” to Lisbon treaty – a paper exercise with little practical change. This rang Juncker’s alarm bells (“siren”): Brexit is a very different exercise. [Protocol 36 is summarised in an EU press release from 2014: UK opted out but then opted back into many of the detailed elements. Stewart Wood (Baron Wood of Anfield) has also recently blogged about this as a possible reason for May’s delusion.]

This is a version of Brexit Exiting As Name Only (BEANO).  Also worrying is May's view about European nationals.

robbo203
    Participant
    Young Master Smeet wrote:
     This is a version of Brexit Exiting As Name Only (BEANO).  Also worrying is May's view about European nationals.

Not to mention British Nationals in Europe like yours truly…Still not quite sure what the wider implications of Brexit are for us emigrants

rodmanlewis
    Participant
    robbo203 wrote:
    Not to mention British Nationals in Europe like yours truly…Still not quite sure what the wider implications of Brexit are for us emigrants

As a member of the working class you are classified as an emigrant (or immigrant). If you were a member of the capitalist class you would have "taken up residence"! I'm sure they don't bother themselves too much over Brexit.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

I consider myself an economic refugee…receiving a pension that goes further in other parts of the world. One term i am not happy with is ex-pat.These i consider to be short-term overseas workers with corporations and NGOs who always return to their home countries rather than migrant workers.But i suppose there can be an overlap, with economic migrants, after all, seasonal agricultural workers usually divide their tie between abroad and home.Members of the capitalist class can buy very generous visas that provide the luxury of citizenship without taking it up. Also, there is a number of countries that offer to sell their citizenship to those who desire a second passport, again too pricey for the likes of you and me although some may consider $100,000 do-able for Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) passport. Since it is a commonwealth nation, it makes travel easier than some other offers on the passport-for-sale countries. 

ALB
    Keymaster

The election result has revived talk about this again, with Big Business and their voices in Parliament and the media saying the UK should stay in the customs union and even join the European Economic Area (EU + Norway, etc).Now it's the Brexshitters who are the moaners.Interesting side show.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.