Canny SNP?

May 2024 Forums General discussion Canny SNP?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jondwhite
    Participant

Nicola Sturgeon is reported as considering a snap independence referendum

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/13/nicola-sturgeon-snp-scotland-considering-second-independence-vote

Doubtless to ride the Corbyn left-wing wave and to prevent wipe-out by Old Labour north of the border.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

i can't agree. It is unrelated, imho. But it may act as sustenance to the left nationalists who may find another referendum a last dirch defence. It could delay or deter the switch of memberships that others have pointed out LU/TUSC face and thwart the rise of RISEThe Corbyn factor could result in a re-newed Labour Party north of the border so i don't think she is hitching a ride to Corbyn. Plus this second referendum has been discussed for quite a while since the general election away from Corbyn debates and won't surprise many in Scotland. In future she will be taking advantage of combined voting strength against the Tories in Parliament if Corbyn does what Milliband steadfastedly refused to do…and form alliance with the SNPBut it will be interesting if Corbyn , a unionist and anti-devo-max, can revive the Labour Party in Scotland…He may regain some influence that Labour lost in the trade unions, for instance,  and his meetings were certainly standing room only affairs. But wipe-out of SNP? That may be a guess too far. But who knows?…which of us expected to be here discussing a Corbyn-led Labour Party a few months ago but i do think a few of us expected the disappearance of the Labour Party in Scotland after September 17th 2014 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.