Blairite Marxist

May 2024 Forums Events and announcements Blairite Marxist

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

"Norman Geras, who died today, was a Marxist Blairite, which almost renders political labels redundant."

It certainly does make the term Marxist meaningless, so why f***ing use it?

I thought Geras was  Blairite Nazi regards his fawning support for the Iraq war. 
    ALB
    Keymaster

I knew he had gone off the rails (relatively speaking since he was only in the Trotskyist IMG at one time) but hadn't realised that he had gone that far, but weren't there a couple of other ex-IMGers in Blair's cabinet? Still, he can't have been all bad as we recommend his book Marx and Human Nature on this site here (under H).

While he did support 'Humanitarian intervention' in Iraq, he did later regret the decision when the reports of half a million dead started coming in.  He struck me as a pretty humane writer.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Regret with weasel words, i am afraid YMS.  'Had I foreseen a failure of this magnitude, I would have withheld my support. Even then, I would not have been able to bring myself to oppose the war.'  Nor should it be forgotten about all those Blairites (including Robin Cook) who found the tragedies of  the sanctions pre-war an acceptable price. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.