An Earl denounces school uniforms

April 2024 Forums General discussion An Earl denounces school uniforms

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ALB
    Keymaster

Here’s the Earl of Clancarty, whoever he is but clearly a real hereditary lord and not just a jumped-up life peer, denouncing school uniforms as a means of regimenting and instilling discipline into school kids. Which goes to show, I suppose, that even some members of the old ruling class sometimes talk sense.

imposs1904
    Participant

You know what? As someone who grew up poor, on reflection, I didn’t mind having to wear a school uniform to school. The peer – that pun is dedicated to the late, great SPGBer Eddie Grant – pressure of having to have the right gear or the latest trainers would have been insufferable.

I’m sure I’m in a minority on the forum with that point of view.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by imposs1904.
    ALB
    Keymaster

I see he is an Irish peer. Didn’t know there were any left.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

I found that even with school uniform differences was noticeable. Blazers, grey trousers, the shirts, the shoes, the schoolbags were all discernable in quality and price paid for them. People knew who came from families with money.

People don’t believe me that i was twenty-something when i first ventured into Leith, before then it was a one or two term visits to a budget shoe-shop with my mum.

ALB
    Keymaster

Here’s the Daily Express denouncing the noble Earl as “woke”:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1412335/house-of-lords-news-school-uniform-ban-repressive-earl-of-clancarty-woke/amp

I’m not sure I’m in the right thread.

PartisanZ
    Participant

I found that even with school uniform differences was noticeable. Blazers, grey trousers, the shirts, the shoes, the schoolbags were all discernable in quality and price paid for them. People knew who came from families with money.

Yes I ended up in the last years with an old British Rail jacket as a substitute for my blazer and I was happy to do so to save my mum getting into debt at a ‘tick’ warehouse.

It was actually more robust, warmer and better than the shoddy real thing.

My problem with the uniform was being identified as a Catholic when venturing outwith safer precincts.

james19
    Participant

Imposs1904

You know what? As someone who grew up poor, on reflection, I didn’t mind having to wear a school uniform to school. The peer – that pun is dedicated to the late, great SPGBer Eddie Grant – pressure of having to have the right gear or the latest trainers would have been insufferable.

I’m sure I’m in a minority on the forum with that point of view.

——-

Sadly a young boy has lost his life because he owned a much desired designer “labelled” coat.
    His death has been hijacketed by the usual suspects (racist bigots). As if his death wasn’t tragic enough.

james19
    Participant

Here’s another one….

Super rich hereditary peer says £24k a year NHS heroes are WELL PAID

I know Twitter mod (Matt?) likes a newspaper headline.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.