Was state-capitalism really progressive?

April 2024 Forums General discussion Was state-capitalism really progressive?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Thomas_More
    Participant

No, peasants are not necessarily serfs. The peasants of China were free farmers. Of course, they were prey to corrupt tax-collectors, and prey to the elements.

Thomas_More
    Participant

Unlike the caste system in India, in which caste is rigidly determined by birth, in China there was no inheritance per se. The sons of officials had to earn the post and thus the wealth their fathers had had, via the scholastic examination system. This system was theoretically open to everyone, including peasants. Many mandarins were peasants’ sons.
    Of course, when China was occupied by the Manchus, Manchu birth was favoured at all levels, but the examination system functioned as it had for two thousand years, except during the brief era of Mongol rule.

Moo
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, M.S. & Thomas.

Thomas_More
    Participant

🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do not say that it was equal, I said similar, and that was the reason why the Institute of Marxism Leninism did not want to
    dig too much on Marx ethnological books and the asiatic mode of production. If you want to believe that capitalist existed in China, it is fine with me, just dig on Marx ethnological books. It was Mao and Stalin who said that china was feudalist, they did not know any better, or they wanted to continue with their own lie

Thomas_More
    Participant

I have put on here several times my agreement with you on that.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.