Unproductive labour and exploitation

March 2024 Forums General discussion Unproductive labour and exploitation

Viewing 91 post (of 91 total)
  • Author
    robbo203
    Participant

Let’s hope that those in the sector don’t feel insulted at being called “informal” or, for that matter, those in the formal sector at being called “formal”.

Can’t really see why anyone should feel insulted.  The “informal sector” – the term itself was coined by British anthropologist Keith Hart in 1971 – simply refers to economic activities of either a market or non market kind that are not taxed and fall beyond the scope of government regulation or protection.  By contrast, the formal sector, which by its very nature is exclusively market based, is taxed and does fall under government regulation

I’ve worked in both sectors at different times in my life as I’m sure have a lot of others on this list.  I think it is useful  to make these kinds of  distinctions in order to put across a more realistic  picture of contemporary capitalism.   After all, lets not forget that a majority of workers in the world today actually work in the informal – not the formal – sector and this does have quite significant implications for these workers

Viewing 91 post (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.