The ‘Occupy’ movement

April 2024 Forums General discussion The ‘Occupy’ movement

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 356 total)
  • Author
    freetimes3x
    Participant

Here’s a film from some people pushing the idea that taxation and bankers enslave us.
    Hold on a moment though. The reason why I’m posting it is twofold:
    1/ They are making a point about needing to understand the system (which I don’t think they do) before you just end up with some toothless reforms or, worse, have your revolution hijacked by someone else.
    2/ How difficult would it be for us to produce something along the lines of this video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myqffx8Mdg4&feature=player_embedded

A comrade from New Zealand writes:

Quote:
    It’s just the same here in New Zealand. Lots of people extremely dissatisfied with the Capitalist system, but not knowing how to get out of it. We have elections coming up. I went to talk to some of the people occupying Civic Square in Wellington. One of the guys asked me if I had any good ideas for slogans for their banners. Oh Boy! Did I have some ideas!

A US comrade has sent in the declaration adopted by Occupy Atlanta:

Quote:
    We have envisioned a new world. One without foreclosures, bank bailouts, war, corporate personhood, and the state-mandated murder of human beings. A world where the many thousands of homeless men and women in Atlanta do not have to sleep on the cold sidewalks of locked, empty buildings. A world where 15 million children do not die from hunger each year while every plant, grocery store and bakery throw away countless tons of food every single night. We have envisioned a world where the profit incentive is not only void, it is taboo – and the compassion for fellow being and for planet is paramount. A world where everyone shares so that everyone has enough.
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Seeking to profit from the demonstrations with T-shirts and other merchandise.Ray Agrinzone, a clothing designer who launched a mail-order website said: “There’s nothing wrong with turning a profit.”http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/06/us-entrepreneurs-occupy-movement

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    We have envisioned a new world. One without foreclosures, bank bailouts, war, corporate personhood, and the state-mandated murder of human beings. A world where the many thousands of homeless men and women in Atlanta do not have to sleep on the cold sidewalks of locked, empty buildings. A world where 15 million children do not die from hunger each year while every plant, grocery store and bakery throw away countless tons of food every single night. We have envisioned a world where the profit incentive is not only void, it is taboo – and the compassion for fellow being and for planet is paramount. A world where everyone shares so that everyone has enough.

Laudable sentiments from Occupy Atlanta but nothing there that my Christian neighbour would disagree with.  He thinks the way forward is for us all to love God and be nice to each other………. 

ALB
    Keymaster

Like yours my christian neighbours are a bit woolly but less radical than yours. They don’t agree with

Quote:
    a world where the profit incentive is not only void, it is taboo.

They have nothing against profit as such, but only object to capitalist firms making too much profit, which they regard as unethical. For them, it’s not Profit, but the Love of Profit, that is the Root of All Evil (or something like that). They think ethical profits are ok.

DJP
    Participant

‘Occupy Norwich’ have invited Green Party currency crank Rupert Read to speak on the virtues of banking reform. I intend to turn up tommorrow and tell the other story. http://rupertsread.blogspot.com/2011/11/occupy-norwich-to-discuss-financial.html

freetimes3x
    Participant
    ALB wrote:
    Like yours my christian neighbours are a bit woolly but less radical than yours. They don’t agree with

Quote:
    a world where the profit incentive is not only void, it is taboo.

They have nothing against profit as such, but only object to capitalist firms making too much profit, which they regard as unethical. For them, it’s not Profit, but the Love of Profit, that is the Root of All Evil (or something like that). They think ethical profits are ok.

And ethical armies should kill people with ethical weapons in ethical wars perhaps.

Nannipieri
    Participant
    DJP wrote:
    ‘Occupy Norwich’ have invited Green Party currency crank Rupert Read to speak on the virtues of banking reform. I intend to turn up tommorrow and tell the other story. http://rupertsread.blogspot.com/2011/11/occupy-norwich-to-discuss-financial.html

I loved this comment:Steve said…The problem with these things is that there’s always someone like you right at the forefront putting ‘normal’ people off. Like me.It isn’t always about YOU! 7 November 2011 20:17

DJP
    Participant

Didn’t make it to the meeting in the end. But if anyone is interested a transcript is hereMight see if they’ll have me to do some speaking.

ALB
    Keymaster

Pity you couldn’t make it since it seems to have been a bit of  currency cranks convention, with only one person saying anything sensible:

Quote:
    Question: Banks’ money is balanced because each deposit is balanced by a debt?

Confirmation of why we need to be there to take part in these discussions.

DJP
    Participant
    ALB wrote:
    Pity you couldn’t make it since it seems to have been a bit of  currency cranks convention, with only one person saying anything sensible:

There ‘monetary reform’ group meets every wednesday so hoping to come down next week. They may also be starting a group to discuss capitalism in general.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

http://occupywallst.org/forum/a-question-about-fractional-reserve-lending/ A useful link on fractional reserve and money creation myth for those who are suspicious if we as a  political party explains it

ALB
    Keymaster
    alanjjohnstone wrote:
    http://occupywallst.org/forum/a-question-about-fractional-reserve-lending/A useful link on fractional reserve and money creation myth for those who are suspicious if we as a  political party explains it

Yes, Dalton’s the man there who knows how banks work. But shouldn’t this be on the thread on “reserve banking”?

ALB
    Keymaster

Interesting bit in this news item about Occupy Cardiff:

Quote:
    Earlier, a leaflet was handed out to shoppers calling for a new type of economy.It read: “This historic and unprecedented uprising and resistance to the inequality of our social system is nothing less than a lifeline for humanity.”We must convert this dissent into a satisfying result.”The monetary market system itself must be replaced with a resource-based economic model where everyone’s needs are provided for free.”

It wasn’t us, but it could have been.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 356 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.