Saudi Arabia ends death penalty for crimes committed by minors

April 2024 Forums General discussion Saudi Arabia ends death penalty for crimes committed by minors

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    james19
    Participant

It has also banned floggings..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/saudi-arabia-ends-death-penalty-for-minors?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by james19.
    • This topic was modified 4 years ago by PartisanZ.
    james19
    Participant

Damn, large typeface?!

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by james19.
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Let’s not forget birching was permitted in Isle of Man until 1976. The last ever UK prison flogging was in 1962.

And I was brought up under a school system that used the leather belt (the Lochgelly tawse) upon the palms of the hands. Such punishment ended in the 1980s.

Not sure when the use of the cane in school ceased in England.

Bijou Drains
    Participant

The Tawse was the weapon of choice for teachers in the Tyneside area during my school days. I went to a particularly sadistic and violent catholic Secondary School where teachers would regularly punch pupils in the face, never mind messing about with a belt. If you were being regularly hit with a bit of wood, you knew you were in woodwork, if the teacher was hitting you with a bit of metal, you knew you were in metal work.

We had one teacher whose method of education was to give a lesson for an hour on a Tuesday, with revision tasks for the next lesson on the following Thursday. The Thursday’s one hour session consisted of a half hour exam based on Tuesday’s lesson, a tense 15 minute wait while he marked the test in silence and then the bottom 50% of the class were given the belt. It didn’t matter if you got 99% if you were in the bottom half, six lashes with the belt. What a twat.

Then a priest would come around a tell me Jesus died for my sins. I thought I was hard done to getting the belt for not doing homework, JC was getting put to death for my sins, which at that time consisted of nicking the odd bar of chocolate and some boyish and vague impure thoughts about my mate’s mother.

james19
    Participant

I got hit with the table tennis bat on the backside, by the head nun. Men pay good money for a woman to dress up as a nun to hit them😳

I was taken from my Roman Catholic junior school after a bit of a family feud….I was cross at the time, having made new friends in class…The new school was a lot closer anyway to our house, it was CofE. In class, I was angry, that I’d been moved to this new school. The teacher saw this, who then told me that the CofE doesn’t teach that the Earth is flat….

Anonymous
    Inactive

I grew up with Jesuits, Salesian fathers, De  La Salle Brothers and Nuns, from primary to secondary school and they never hit us, on the contrary, they treated us like we were their own children or the children that they never had. Those teachers were an extension of our homes, we respected them and they respected us, and they never got paid to do that job, most of them died in poverty

Bijou Drains
    Participant

Marcos – “I grew up with Jesuits, Salesian fathers, De La Salle Brothers and Nuns, from primary to secondary school and they never hit us,

I take it they weren’t Irish then.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

There was the Magdalene laundries – slave labour endorsed by the Irish state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magdalene_Sisters

Then there were the  Jesuits and American slavery

The Jesuits’ Slaves

But I hope I am not letting out confidences that one elderly member of the Party went into an old folk’s home run by nuns and preferred that they didn’t learn he was a non-believer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.