Russian Tensions

May 2024 Forums General discussion Russian Tensions

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 5,162 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Russia and Ukraine agree on local temporary ceasefires to permit the flow of refugees.

Zelenskyy seeks direct talks with Putin.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

The environmentalist Friday for Future had slogans a bit better than their earlier ones in their antiwar protests.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/03/03/climate-youth-fill-worlds-streets-standwithukraine

Anonymous
    Inactive

This war is like a Greek tragedy, there are too many myths, heroes, and epics created by both sides,

Some newspapers are saying that the Russian soldiers are giving up and punching the gas tanks of the war tanks and that the Russian soldiers are young peoples who do not want to fight and do not have any military training and they are taking sides with the Ukrainians,

One Ukrainian pilot confronting various Russian warplanes, the Russians is saying that only 500 Russian soldiers have been killed, the Ukrainians are saying that more than 7000 Russian soldiers have been killed.

Other reports indicate that the Russian soldiers are having a shortage of food and supplies

It is very hard to know who is telling the truth

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

We had talked about the risk to Ukraine’s nuclear power staions previously and the possibility of a potential catastrophe being narrowly avoided has just been brought home to us

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60532634

Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, the largest in Europe, is on fire. Mayor Dmytro Orlov of nearby Enerhodar says the fire was caused by “continuous enemy shelling” The International Atomic Energy Agency had called on all sides to stop any fighting near the plant.

Lucky for all of us, the fire has not affected the vital operating equipment and a nuclear melt-down was averted.

A close call, though.

robbo203
    Participant

An interesting piece in the Spanish newspaper EL Pais. It seems that support for Putin is hemorrhaging amongst the oligarchs, the class he presents, and of which he is a prominent member. Even if the military goal of the invasion is accomplished (at a huge cost to Russia) I cannot see the Putin regime surviving. Putin has blown it big time this time

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/russian-oligarchs-speak-out-against-invasion-of-ukraine/ar-AAUyOLP?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

ALB
    Keymaster

It is very hard to know who is telling the truth

The answer will be that neither is. As Russia is saying less about how their war is going it is telling less lies. Ukraine is saying so much that it is the bigger liar if only by default. Personally I don’t believe a word that the Ukrainian authorities say. Even tame and biased Western war correspondents have had to take saying that something is ‘claimed’ or ‘reported’. Everything that the Ukrainian authorities turn out is either a fabrication or an exaggeration. Russia is out to erase all Ukrainians. Russia is out to blow up all Europe. I am just waiting for them claim that Russian troops are bayoneting babies.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the Russian capitalists are going to remove him, they are losing too much money and spheres of influence after the incursion took place

Anonymous
    Inactive
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Out of the frying pan, into the fire?

The Israeli government has called on Ukrainian Jewish refugees to immigrate to Israel and removed bureaucratic hurdles to secure their arrival as quickly as possible.

“We call on the Jews of Ukraine to immigrate to Israel – your home,” Israel’s Ministry of Immigration and Absorption said

Israel is keen on bringing in Ukrainian Jewish refugees for the purpose of maintaining Jewish demographic “supremacy”.

The World Zionist Organization’s Settlement Division announced the building of 1,000 housing structures for Ukrainian Jewish families in both Israel and settlements in the illegally occupied Palestinian territories.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/4/israel-ukraine

ALB
    Keymaster

An interesting article on what a peace deal might look like — Ukraine can join the EU but not NATO. But why was this not put on the table before? Why did NATO choose to call Russia’s bluff? I suppose the answer is that what decides what happens is not logic but ‘might is right’. The West thought it was mightier and was therefore right and Russia had to try to show that it was.

ALB
    Keymaster

I knew it was coming. The next will be babies on bayonets.

sshenfield
    Participant

This text is from Tridni Valka (Class War in Czech):

Tridni Valka on war in Ukraine

Apparently based in the Czech Republic, though they produce their texts in nine languages.

ALB
    Keymaster

I wonder if the ICC (not them, the one in The Hague) will be investigating possible war crimes by the Ukrainian authorities like parading captured soldiers on TV for propaganda purposes. Or have they, too, like all the world’s sporting bodies, been enrolled in the NATO anti-Russia campaign?

ALB
    Keymaster

More on Ukrainian oligarchs here. I expect they would like to have their description changed to plain billionaire in case their yachts, luxury apartments and private jets get seized by mistake. They are the people who Western politicians, from their armchairs, are asking Ukrainian workers to fight and die for.

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 5,162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.