Russian Tensions

April 2024 Forums General discussion Russian Tensions

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 5,150 total)
  • Author

Statement of the Confederation of Revolutionary Anarcho-Syndicalists

“The first shot was fired by the stronger, predatory and arrogant of the bandits – the Kremlin. But, as always happens in imperialist conflicts, behind the immediate cause lies a whole tangle of disgustingly stinking reasons: this is the international struggle for gas markets, and the desire of the authorities of all countries to divert the attention of the population from the tyranny of “sanitary” dictatorships, and the struggle of the ruling classes of the countries of the former Soviet Union for the division and redistribution of the “post-Soviet space”, and larger-scale and global contradictions, and the struggle for world domination between NATO, led by the USA and China, challenging the old hegemon and fastening its “little brother” in the Kremlin to its chariot. Today these contradictions give rise to local wars. Tomorrow they threaten to turn into a Third World Imperialist War.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

If Putin does attempt to enforce his demand that NATO retreat to its 1997 borders, it will mean nuclear war, because neither Russia nor the US will dare wait for even a day.

NATO’s beefing up of its forces in the Baltics is a direct snub to Putin’s demand.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ALB
    Keymaster

Well, this would be a turn up for the books — Ukraine ready to renounce wanting to join NATO?

Maybe some members of the Ukraine ruling elite are beginning to realise that they have been used as pawns by the US and its allies who have left them to face the consequences of NATO intransigence on this issue (while urging from their armchairs Ukraine to fight to the last Ukrainian).

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Being from RT it will possess a slanted view but I think the basic facts on Euromaidan as stated are fairly accurate.

https://www.rt.com/russia/550266-euromaidan-ukraine-history-results/

sshenfield
    Participant

Ukrainians all along have been split about 50-50 between those who insist on breaking all ties with Russia and joining NATO and those who want to preserve ties and take Russian security concerns into account by remaining a neutral buffer state. Many of the uncompromising Ukrainian nationalists are armed and prepared to overthrow any government that makes a ‘fishy deal’ with Russia. Zelenko has been inclined toward compromise with Russia but scared of the ultras. If Putin does not get too greedy and stops upping his demands, he can come to an agreement with Zelenko that permanently weakens and marginalizes the ultras, who would become something like the IRA in Ireland.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220222-moldova-then-georgia-now-ukraine-how-russia-built-bridgeheads-into-post-soviet-space

Comparisons with Russian-speakers in Moldova and Georgia. I would make a similar comparison with Hitler and German-speakers of Sudetenland.

I wild guess but I believe Putin seeks the historic nationalist legacy that he put Russia back together again.

ALB
    Keymaster

I was surprised to find this on the BBC, debunking pro-Ukrainian propaganda photos and videos. I wonder when they will be given a D notice or whatever telling them to stop.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Alan, there’ll be no putting anything together ever again if he attacks the Baltic states! We’ll all be dead.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Refugees are now fleeing Ukraine and to be welcomed in countries that were most reluctant to accept those from Syria seeking sanctuary, Hungary and Poland.

Now tell me it was never based upon racism and bigotry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60527138

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

AC, Russia is now warning Finland and Sweden of serious consequences if they seek to join NATO.

“…Their accession to Nato can have detrimental consequences… and face military and political consequences…” Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said

PJShannon
    Keymaster

‘I was surprised to find this on the BBC, debunking pro-Ukrainian propaganda photos and videos. I wonder when they will be given a D notice or whatever telling them to stop.’

It’s not really pro-Uke propaganda, just devilment by amateur fake-news social media bullshitters craving some attention. The BBC’s ‘Reality Check’ journalists are pretty good at exposing this sort of thing, and also regularly debunk claims by the Tories as well as Biden, Trump etc, to say nothing of Putin. The D-notice system is voluntary anyway and predicated on issues of UK national security, which certainly wouldn’t apply in this case.

ALB
    Keymaster

Just been to fill up. The politicians only think of the economic or strategic interests of the capitalist class and ignore the effect on ordinary people. It’s not just petrol prices that are going to go up but, later, gas.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Workers killing workers because ordered to. But some go out of their way to kill:
    Tank swerves deliberately and runs over civilian car containing elderly couple on way out of Kiev.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 5,150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.