Our Boy Boris?

May 2024 Forums General discussion Our Boy Boris?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Well, at a personal level, my post office pension is going to fall further in value…that a given.

A lot of ex-pats are already financially suffering with the unrelenting drop in exchange rates and it ain’t going to get any better.

Immigration here are already raising the minimum level monthly income requirements for UK residents visas.

When Brexit materializes it will be a lot worse for many others, unfortunately, with the loss of jobs, price rises as the UK goes into recession.

But my perception is always a bit gloomy and doom-laden I have been told.

The capitalist class might feel the effects in their share dividends, but it will be workers who will feel the real pain, as always, with less disposable cash.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Is Boris going to be a war-monger? He is following the line of the EU regards the nuclear deal.

Hunt may well have been more of a hawk.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I agree. I was dreading Hunt winning more.

The same with Trump. Had Clinton won, I think we would already be in the thick of a massive war.

Trump was actually criticised for holding back!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Healthy European foodstuffs will rise more in price after Brexit, with more poor people becoming diabetic and obese – like in America. Health protections will go, don’t you think?

There’ll be more fracking, more poverty and ill-health, lower quality food and more diabetes.

The rich will continue to have the best, and European victuals, which we will no longer be able to afford, I think.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t see Boris lasting long, though, come Oct. 31st, so Hunt could be PM anyway.

ALB
    Keymaster

A no deal Brexit will certainly impose completely unnecessary hardship on ordinary people, brought about purely because the political representatives of the capitalist class can’t agree on the trading arrangements of UK PLC. Or even as a deliberate policy by the government. Even if this hardship proves to be temporary and things eventually settle down it will be a case of capitalism imposing unnecessary hardship.

Of course it is by no means settled that this will happen. The new prime minister may be the leader of the Leave campaign but he hasn’t got a majority in parliament or probably the country nor even a mandate from the 2016 referendum for no deal. So it might not happen.

Something similar to May’s deal (which only dealt with technicalities anyway, not the substance of a future UK – Europe trade deal) still seems the more likely outcome. It might be under yet another prime minister and/or after a referendum or general election. We shall see.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

ALB, no deal Brexit might be the worse option but will a phased Brexit really make much difference to the markets?

The best option would be to Remain but there are genuine worries of how such a reversal would go down with the hard nationalist Brexiteers.

I have no personal anecdotal evidence that it would bring increased polarization to politics and serious disorder in the streets. I rely on your good selves to relay the feelings and emotions of the Brexiteers.

Will Boris be a very transitory PM? I’m still not sure. Would he lose an election against Corbyn? Again I rely on secondary sources but my gut feeling is he would win as the City of London fear Corbyn more than Brexit and the media will do its job of irrational scare-mongering.

But perhaps i’m being gloom and doom again.

Bijou Drains
    Participant

Genuine story

In 1985 I was seeing a lassie who was studying at Oxford. I was visiting her in Oxford for the first time, it was on a Monday night in March (I have a feeling I had been at a Islington Branch get together over the weekend before).

On this particular Monday night I was out in Oxford having a few sherbets with said Lassie, when reports came in that the Bullingdon Club were causing trouble at a pub up the road.

My initial reaction was to get stuck in. It has to be said that along with most of the NE Branch at the time, I was fairly handy in pub car park.  Sadly being in lurve, I was persuaded that it was better to walk away from a possible fight by the lassie in question.

Got to say I have regretted missing the chance to chin Boris and Cameron for many a year. Not even a happy ending, she ditched me for a politics student from Birmingham. 🙁  🙁

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Is Nicola Sturgeon a good judge of character?

“Boris Johnson does talk a good game. He’s one of these guys that talks utter nonsense with complete conviction and confidence. I’m a fully paid-up believer in the power of optimism in politics, but there is a line between optimism and delusion and selling something that is not true.

That’s where the Brexit argument has made the mistake – and Boris Johnson in particular. He shrugs his shoulders quite literally when you talk to him about the consequences of crashing out at the end of October with no deal as if they don’t matter or he can wish them away.”

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.