New Music Thread

April 2024 Forums Off topic New Music Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2024/02/26/txpa-f26.html

Bob Marley: One Love—Airbrushing the complicated life of the great reggae singer
    Paul Bond
    25 February 2024
    Jamaican Robert Nesta Marley (1945-1981) was one of the most gifted and appealing musicians of the 1970s. This outstanding singer and songwriter did much to popularise and develop reggae, taking it in new directions for a global audience. Young people everywhere responded to his anti-establishment and rebellious music. He was a popular music star at a time when such figures still meant something substantial to masses of people.

Bob Marley’s continued popularity is reflected in the size of the audiences flocking to see Reinaldo Marcus Green’s biopic Bob Marley: One Love, despite almost universal criticism of its airbrushed superficiality.

At the end of Green’s film, we are told that Marley’s songs have become beacons for the oppressed everywhere. This deserves attention, but the necessary reflection on the contradictions in Marley’s life and work this involves is not forthcoming.

Thomas_More
    Participant

Death Row song.

paula.mcewan

I would put this in the musical anti-war category and therefore deserving of a post on our forum (personal capacity)

Admittedly, they’re Armenian nationalists, but:

Packs a punch. (This was one of two songs they brought out during the last Nagorno-Karabakh conflict).

paula.mcewan

Enjoy this, if you can friends https://youtu.be/E3wISftyEAE?si=s_kcUNfbuxYrmWFg

imposs1904
    Participant

An old comrade sent me this. Worth a listen:

Thomas_More
    Participant

Woody Guthrie, Slipknot.

Thomas_More
    Participant

Billy the Kid.

Thomas_More
    Participant

Jesse James.

imposs1904
    Participant

Mention of music and Jesse James makes me think of these guys. It’s a two parter. Should be listened to in the correct sequence.

imposs1904
    Participant

And then . . .

Someone else can share Cher’s Jesse James song.

Lizzie45
    Participant

OK then . . .

DJP
    Participant

Some actually new music, 2018…

Thomas_More
    Participant

Pick A Bale O’ Cotton.

paula.mcewan

I’m very much enjoying this thread, my contribution is in honour of Bob Marley. A genuinely great man. It was a shock he died so young [not posting as a moderator]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.