Marx and Buddhism

April 2024 Forums General discussion Marx and Buddhism

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    robbo203
    Participant

Don’t know much about the subject but according to Wikipedia….

“According to his friend, theologian Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam, More once seriously contemplated abandoning his legal career to become a monk.[15][16] Between 1503 and 1504 More lived near the Carthusian monastery outside the walls of London and joined in the monks’ spiritual exercises. Although he deeply admired their piety, More ultimately decided to remain a layman, standing for election to Parliament in 1504 and marrying the following year.[12]:xxi
    More continued ascetic practices for the rest of his life, such as wearing a hair shirt next to his skin and occasionally engaging in flagellation.[12]:xxi A tradition of the Third Order of Saint Francis honours More as a member of that Order on their calendar of saints.[17] “

Anonymous
    Inactive

Erasmus of Rotterdam indicated that he was a monk and he lived a couples of years in the Carthusian monastery, and then, he became a layman and he formed a family but he continued living an ascetics life.  He is also called Saint Thomas. In Japan there are many married monks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Erasmus of Rotterdam indicated that he was a monk and he lived a couples of years in the Carthusian monastery, and then, he became a layman and he formed a family but he continuing living an ascetics life.  He is also called Saint Thomas. In Japan there are many married monks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Whence this false notion that More, a family man, was ever a monk?

From the Jesuits, Dominicos, De La Salle Brothers,   and Salesian fathers

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think Robbo has put it succinctly. He was a lay brother, not a monk. You do not renounce vows once taken as a monk or nun. There never were married monks in Christianity. In Tibetan Buddhism, yes. Buddhist priests in Japan marry. Do do secular Orthodox priests, but they are not monks.

This rule in the Orthodox Christian Church kept the rule of the Church firmly in the hands of the monks, for only monastic, unmarried, priests can ever rise to Bishop.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another lay brother, on and off, was Rasputin – and never a monk.

Eastern monasteries allow wandering lay pilgrims to stay, for as long as they like too! These lay wanderers are still common in the wilds of Greece, as I know from personal experience.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think Robbo has put it succinctly. He was a lay brother, not a monk. You do not renounce vows once taken as a monk or nun.

I knew many who renounced. Life is full of surprises

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not without a dispensation, very difficult to get. Yes, people have, but have been excommunicated!

Anonymous
    Inactive

It sounds like the Apostasy of the Church Church if they do not approve your application you are still a Catholic. There are millions of atheists who are catholics because they have not submitted an application for Apostasy, or have never been approved by the Vaitcan. It is all bullshit.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

My theology is weak but the difference between monks and priests is something about sacraments and masses, isn’t it?

But I see married priests may well be on the return

https://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/vatican-opens-historic-debate-on-having-married-priests-for-amazon-region/60684.htm

I think they are already allowed when a C of E vicar switches to the Catholic church

From my personal blog some time ago, a brief  history of celibacy and why it was introduced.

https://mailstrom.blogspot.com/2006/08/rent-priestcom.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

Celibacy was introduced by Saint Agustine, based on economic purposes, before that priests were allowed  to get marry. The Catholic Church is accepting priests from the Episcopal Chruch because they do not have any candidate for priesthood in the Seminaries, and many of them are already married. Pretty soon celibacy is going to be elininated from the catholic church. There is a wide world outside of the box where many things are taking place. The Episcopal Church in  some places they are taking  similar stand of the liberation theology, that is the reason why the Episcopal church is progressing in Latin America, and some catholics priests are living the catholics church to join the episcopal church in order to get marry. There are several priests who have been expelled due to their participation in the working class movement, but they have been forced to take them back because peoples have gone to the streets to protest, and some of them have had children

Anonymous
    Inactive

My theology is weak but the difference between monks and priests is something about sacraments and masses, isn’t it?

Monks are claustral, but in essence they all believe in the same fantasies, and monks are more ideological reactionaries than priests, they are not in contact with the real world like priests

ALB
    Keymaster

Monk, priest, lay brother, that’s nothing. How about saint which, according to the main Christian sect, the Roman Catholic church, More now is? According to them, he must be in heaven able to speak to their god as he has persuaded it to intervene to work two or three miracles. All rubbish of course, but anyone know what they’re supposed to have been?

Wez
    Participant

Friar Tuck (Robin Hood’s spiritual adviser) is my kinda priest – hard drinkin’ & fightin’ mutha.

ALB
    Keymaster

Friar? Where do they fit into the hierarchy of deluded god-botherers?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.