Fisk on Canada

May 2024 Forums Events and announcements Fisk on Canada

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

I have often confessed my admiration for Robert Fisk's reporting and thought that some of our Canadian comrades will not have come across his articles, particulary any devoted to Canadian government's policies so this might be a good read for them

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/if-stephen-harper-is-serious-about-criminalising-barbaric-cultural-practices-then-he-should-arrest-himself-for-even-suggesting-it-10126055.html

Richard
    Participant

An interesting article. Keep in mind that there's a federal election coming up in October and Harper's Conservative Party is neck and neck in the polls with the Liberal Party with the NDP holding steady with a strong third place showing. My bet is on a Liberal minority supported by the NDP. Bye bye PM Harper, hello PM Trudeau! The "Zero Tolerance for Barbaric Cultural Practices Act” is simply Harper throwing some red meat to his hard-core base, just to try to shore up support. Hell, everything Stephen Harper does from now on is done with the election in mind.The Mormons out in BC do have to worry as charges have been laid in August 2014 against their members for taking young girls down to Texas for marriage. Canada and the US are cooperating on this.It will be interesting to see how Harper's new "Zero Tolerance" law deals with Muslim polygamy since charges against the Mormons have in the past been contested on the basis that the charges violated the right to religious freedom.I have zero tolerance for religion so as far as I'm concerned the Mormons and the Muslims and the orthodox Jews and the Catholic priests and all the rest of the religious nuts should all be thrown in jail for kiddie diddling. We don't need a new law for that.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.