Extinction Rebellion

January 2022 Forums General discussion Extinction Rebellion

Viewing 7 posts - 406 through 412 (of 412 total)
  • Author
    ALB
    Keymaster

I have just worked out why they think that ‘their’ government has ‘betrayed’ them. It will be because they subscribe to the myth that the government exists to serve and protect the people and that, in not doing enough about climate change (more specifically in not spending money on properly insulating all homes in Britain), the government has failed in its ‘duty’ and, worse, has betrayed those they are supposed to protect.

In other words, they subscribe to the conventional view of what governments are there to do, whereas in fact of course government are there to protect the interests of the rich owning class. It is their government not ours.

Their political consciousness has not evolved beyond the view of those who vote for parties to form a government to do something for them. They are naive reformists even if their tactics are to break the law to try to pressurise the government into adopting the particular reform they want.

alanjjohnstone
    Participant

Our message must be to clearly press home our Marxian analysis that the government is the executive committee of the ruling class and regardless of appearance, serves its interest, not the general population.

The creation of the so-called “welfare state” has blurred the image.

And also the myth of the “ordinary tax-paying public” camouflages the reality.

ALB
    Keymaster

I think they adhere to the social contract theory of government as set out in the US Declaration of Independence. That they see the government as having broken its side of the bargain is their justification for resorting to civil disobedience, ie, of any obligation to obey the government

Hence the over the top language they use about ‘betrayal’ and the government being ‘traitors’. Some of their foot soldiers actually appear to believe this student essay stuff.

alanjjohnstone
    Participant

Now that we have identified one of the major differences in analysis with environmentalists, we should now tailor our articles highlighting the flaw in the eco-warriors campaigns.

To adapt I think one of your early remarks, reformism by direct action but nevertheless still reformism.

ALB
    Keymaster

It’s started. As usual in “civil disobedience” protests: once some have been jailed the emphasis shifts to protesting and to trying to get them out.

Notice that their main slogan is still the naive and misleading “Betrayed by My Government”

Pathetic as well as counter-productive.

Vauxhall Bridge is the main bridge you would take to get from north of the Thanes to get to our Head Office. So if they repeat this stunt next Saturday when South London branch meets we will go there to leaflet them.

But it looks as if some of them will be in gaol singing “I fought the law and the law won.”

Young Master Smeet
    Participant

I read in the Morning Star that one of the Insulate Britain prisoners has begun a hunger strike. 5 days in.

alanjjohnstone
    Participant

Six climate crisis activists whose protest halted transport links serving London’s financial district have been acquitted by a jury.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/10/jury-clears-extinction-rebellion-activists-who-targeted-commuters

Viewing 7 posts - 406 through 412 (of 412 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.