Extinction Rebellion

March 2024 Forums General discussion Extinction Rebellion

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 447 total)
  • Author
    alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/extinction-rebellion-cenotaph-climate-change-war-remembrance-day-b1721113.html

“Honour their sacrifice, climate change means war.”

In a statement, the activist group highlighted a Ministry of Defence-commissioned report, published in June, which warned of the “growing recognition that climate change may aggravate existing threats to international peace and security”.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

An analysis of the media smears against XR for laying a wreath at the Cenotaph.

The Dead and Those about to Die: Climate Protests and the Corporate Media

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Money Rebellion…not at all as radical as it sounds but a campaign of debt and tax strikes.

Extinction Rebellion launches campaign of financial disobedience | Extinction Rebellion | The Guardian

ALB
    Keymaster

I was going to mention that but you beat me to it. I suppose that if you think that the end of the world is nigh you might be prepared to risk losing where you live or getting a bad credit record (or alienating everybody).

I noticed that one of their leaders, Gail Bradbrook, is quoted as saying in today’s Times:

”One of things that has really held back change on the environment is this perception that it’s a ‘leftwing’ thing.”

By which I take it she means bringing “capitalism” into it. And why the Guardian didn’t quote her on that?

XR seems more like a cult than anything else.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Money Rebellion would have been a good slogan for those of our ilk…to make it actually mean something substantive.

Perhaps the theme of a future SS issue.

I wonder how their 3.5% theory holds up against the evidence of Millions of Trump voters, and plenty of Qanon influenced  groups.  Maybe we’ll see over the next 4 years.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-climate-protests/climate-activists-spray-black-dye-at-bank-of-england-in-money-rebellion-idUSKBN2BO52Z

Climate activists in London splashed black dye on the facade of the Bank of England.

In Paris, activists draped a banner reading “magic money, toxic investments” on the Banque de France

“The action today is part of a wave of actions by XR’s Money Rebellion designed to expose the role of banks in the climate and ecological crisis,” the environmental movement Extinction Rebellion said.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Will they alienate public sympathy as some believe has already happened?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/05/extinction-rebellion-to-step-up-campaign-against-banking-system-climate-crisis

XR is planning to step up its campaign against the banking system with a series of direct action protests and debt strikes in the coming weeks aimed at highlighting the financial sector’s role in the escalating climate crisis.

Bradbrook said it was time to “challenge a system that has destruction baked in and incentivises harm”, adding that it was being critiqued not just by protesters but by the “World Economic Forum, the Economist magazine, IMF … Prince Charles”. She continued: “It is no longer seen as radical and ridiculous to say the political economy needs to dramatically change. It has become a mainstream conversation … I think anyone saying we have to have what we’ve got because there are no better ideas has either got their eyes closed or they are just pushing the agenda of business as usual because themselves or their paymasters are making too much money.”

All i can say is making a section of the capitalist class culpable is exonerating the rest of them from complicity. It isn’t system change but amelioration.

It was finalising plans for action in the buildup to Cop26, the international climate meeting being held in Glasgow in November.

“XR’s job is to keep the pressure up on the climate and ecological crisis and the inter-related justice issues and we will carry on doing that,” said one of XR’s founders, Gail Bradbrook. “There are many rebels that want to see Cop do as well as it can, so creating the pressure on the streets can help.”

But she said the “Cop process” had so far failed to bring about the changes that were required to address the huge challenge of the climate and ecological emergency. “We need to look at the systemic issues around why we are failing to act and why we are carrying on killing our life support system,” she said.

ALB
    Keymaster

I don’t think that will alienate people unless they try to stop us using banks or cash machines.

It won’t get anywhere anyway. They will just create financial difficulties for themselves but no doubt that will make them feel virtuous.

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/19/environment-protest-being-criminalised-around-world-say-experts

Peaceful environmental protesters are being threatened, silenced and criminalised in countries around the world including the UK and the US, according to more than 400 leading experts – including 14 authors from the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)

I think we can anticipate that Glasgow’s COP26 will be an occasion of more direct action

alanjjohnstone
    Keymaster

Extinction Rebellion dump manure outside the White House

“stop the bullshit”

james19
    Participant

WOW Hasn’t been a good week for capitalists!

Extinction Rebellion: Jury acquits protesters despite ‘no defence in law’ direction https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56853979

Well, there goes trial by jury…

james19
    Participant

Young Master
    Smeet

Well, there goes trial by jury…

I was going to post this in the

POLICE, CRIME, SENTENCING & COURTS BILLt

Thread? One for Priti Patel to rage over.

james19
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 447 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.